"Rich town, poor town" Moree by iandsmith
Moree Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 50 photos
There's an urban rumour floating around that Moree is the richest per capita town in New South Wales. Now, be that as it may, first appearances could deceive you.
There is a busy shopping centre and some well preserved old buildings but, if you're coming here as a tourist, chances are you've come for the spas.
Moree's self promotion as the 'Artesian Spa Capital' comes about due to a bore that was sunk in 1895 (around 850 metres deep) searching for irrigation water.
Baths were soon set up and different days were allocated different sexes and different cultures, something that was highlighted on television in the 1960s, a program that proved the calalyst for change. Australians generally had been shocked to learn that segregation was still practised.
The local initially promoted the waters as a curative and a source of relaxation and replenishment - a tradition that continues. The bore ceased to flow in 1957 and is now worked by a pump.
In Australia, this is arguably its most notable spa town.
The mineral-rich water emerges at 41 degrees Celsius and is pumped into the public pool complex via both underwater spa jets and, for therapeutic and pleasurable effect, by above-pool spouts. The pools are emptied and cleaned each night. They are open on weekdays from 6.30 a.m. to 8.30 p.m., and from 7.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m. on weekends and public holidays. A masseur is always in attendance though bookings are necessary, tel: (02) 6757 3450.
The complex is located at the corner of Anne and Gosport Sts.
The Artesian Thermal Resort is a privately owned complex with its own artesian pool, restaurant and therapy centre, set in five acres of landscaped gardens, tel: (1800) 637 678.
Personally speaking, I would rather toddle out of town and see the water at Waa Gorge, a spectacular little canyon off the Terry Hie Hie Road.
Moree's location adjacent the Mehi River has meant it has been subjected to flooding from time to time. Floods out here are a little different from other countries inasmuch as the water tends to come up slowly and stay a lot longer.
Of course, that leaves the town with some attractive riverside parks and reserves. Moree has one of the largest farm machinery distribution centres in the country, its situation right in the middle of the cotton industry making that a viable concern.
Before white settlement the area was occupied by the Kamilaroi people whose descendants are still very much a presence in the town.
- Pros:Spas, rural atmosphere, some historic buildings
- In a nutshell:You could justify spending a night or two here.
Just 86.1 kilometres from the tourist office in Moree, you'll find this gem. Of course, that titbit of information... more travel advice
These three shops with residence attached are one of the few buildings to survive the great floods of 1910. Some of the... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Moree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artesian Spa Capital of Australia"
- "Rich town, poor town"
- "MOREE - HOME OF ARTESIAN SPAS"
- "Sweetberry's Moree Page"
- "Moree and it's Artesian Spas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moree
- Hotels in Moree
- Transportation in Moree
- Restaurants in Moree
- Shopping in Moree
- Warnings and Dangers in Moree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moree
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (276)
Have you been to Moree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moree
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos