"A feeling as much as a destination" Mount Dandenong by iandsmith
Mount Dandenong Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 91 photos
There’s something magic about the Dandenong Ranges. When you encounter your first copse of mountain ash there’s a sense of pervading calm that comes over you, exacerbated by the tree ferns that soon appear in this wonderful landscape.
I’ve visited on more than one occasion and the enchantment never ceases as you pass through villages with enticing names like Sassafras, Olinda, Sherbrooke and Kalorama; all seeking to charm you with their wonderfully exotic gardens and quirky shops. Epicurean delights abound with eateries claiming all sorts of praise and awards, some erroneous in my belief but let that not detract from your enjoyment.
The winding roads lead ever upward to near where Mount Dandenong, at 633 metres the highest point, lords over all that surrounds and the attraction called Sky High can be found. A cafe, BBQ and picnic areas, attractive formal gardens, and spectacular views across Melbourne's eastern suburbs and to the city from various viewing platforms can be had. Views can also be enjoyed from Burke's Lookout at Mount Corhanwarrabul, about one kilometre south of the Mount Dandenong peak.
However Sky High costs, to get in, to park, to do anything. Might I point you in the direction of other aspects of the Dandenongs, particularly those associated with Parks Victoria, for which you won’t even have to reach into your pocket for loose change.
The whole of the Dandenongs is a gastronomic delight and I was overjoyed when I dined at the Ivy in Olinda to be served... more travel advice
My next goal was the perennial favourite, the National Rhododendron Gardens, set tucked away on a hillside at the back... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Mount Dandenong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE DANDENONG RANGES"
- "Another Chilly trip out of Melbourne!"
- "A feeling as much as a destination"
- "Sherbrook Picnic Grounds"
- "This is going to be my Dandenong Ranges page"
- "Dandenong Ranges Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Dandenong
- Hotels in Mount Dandenong
- Transportation in Mount Dandenong
- Restaurants in Mount Dandenong
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Dandenong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Dandenong
- 8 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Mount Dandenong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Dandenong
Photos in Mount DandenongSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos