La Couvertoirade Favorite Tips by iandsmith
La Couvertoirade Favorites: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Favorite thing: La Couvertoirade was one crucial point in the Templar system and Larzac, with its grain plantations on the south of the plateau, constituted one of the great properties, to the extent that it was baptised "la plaine du temple" (the temple plain).
The name "Templar" comes from the temple in Jerusalem that they originally undertook to defend.
The castle was built in 1249 by the Templars and for seven centuries Couvertoirade would shelter them and their "heirs", the Hospitaliers , who took possession of Templar property after 1312.
That year signalled the abolition of the Templar Order, following the giant plot hatched against it by King Philippe-le-Bel (Phillip IV). He owed them money and, with support from a weak Catholic Church, he got rid of their leaders and thus the movement disbanded.
Fondest memory: Today's La Couvertoirade has been much (and well) restored so that you can get a good idea of what dwellings were like in those days.
You might well notice in all of the photos the outside stairs which is how people got from one floor to the other rather than further cramp the rooms inside.
Overview from the ramparts of La Couvertoirade
Favorite thing: At the end of the 12th century, the Templar Commander of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon ordered the construction of a castle.
Later, in the 14th century, the Knights of Saint John built the church. In the following century, they erected the fortified enclosure, whose towers and walls are still intact today.
However, the Knights eventually ended up at their base in Malta and so any knightly presence was gone.
Fondest memory: These days you can walk in free of charge and you won't be alone. It's popular with tourists, I suspect for that very reason.
However, should you wish to walk the ramparts, that will cost you.
More Reviews (9)
iandsmith's Related Pages
La Couvertoirade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Couvertoirade"
- "La Couvertoirade"
- "Ancient Crusade Village in Cevennes"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Key West Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Southern Province Hotels
- Goose Rocks Beach Hotels
- Ipoh Hotels
- Ottawa Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- La Sal Junction Hotels
- Pensacola Beach Hotels
- Apostle Islands Hotels
Badges & Stats in La Couvertoirade
- 11 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to La Couvertoirade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Couvertoirade
Photos in La CouvertoiradeSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos