"The 21st century, puts the "new" back in Newcastle" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle by iandsmith
Newcastle Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 613 photos
Lonely Planet rates Newcastle number 9 IN THE WORLD on its list of cities to see. I should add here that they're talking about off the beaten track and how favourable it is to backpackers. This has resulted in an increase in backpacker trade. Frankly, they love it here, most extending their stay by a few days.
Newcastle, for so long has been viewed as a polluted steel city by Australians in general and Sydneysiders in particular. Smoke belching from chimney stacks, steam trains beside the main street and, in the old days, sailing ships anchored three deep at the wharves. For those who still have the vision I have some news. None of it is there anymore! What you do have is a major city with beaches at the end of the main street, one of Australia's most vibrant universities and the world's most generous town. How we got the title is that during our first Telethon (24 hour fund raiser on your local T.V. channel) we gave more money per capita than anywhere else in the world.
Not far away we also have Australia's foremost tourist vinyards; gorgeous and visually stunning Port Stephens; wonderfully undiscovered (by tourists) Lake Macquarie and some of the best eating streets in Australia.
In a recent international survey, 4 cities in Australia were in the top 10 of best places to live in the world (Melbourne got number one). Unfortunately, they only included capital cities. Fortunately, they did an equivalent survey for major Australian towns and, guess who came out as number one - my home town. Much to the chagrin of Sydneysiders especially! So, I could be living in the best town in the world - depends on your viewpoint. I have to say that the lifestyle here is hard to beat.
If you plan to be in the area, let me know and we may be able to meet up.
If you like architecture, check my travelogue.
Pictured here is a ship I sailed around the harbour in. We manage to average about one tall ship a year.
You'll find a few sunsets and sunrises here and there among my pics. It's something I enjoy watching, along with storm fronts and lightning.
Shown here is one storm front we were well warned about; shame all the ships didn't heed the warning to move further off the coast. You see, the problem is that we have between 20 and 70 ships lying offshore awaiting a berth at the coal loader. When the storm hit we were near maximum numbers. Obviously some skippers hadn't heard of the Sygna, a 50,000 tonne ship that went aground in a similar storm in 1974. Only half of it was ever recovered. These days it's rapidly succumbing to the elements.
The Pasha Bulker had a problem with slow dishcharge of its ballast so, it appears likely from my seat, the skipper had dumped his water ballast early and, when his engine got going the swells and wind contrived to send it backwards as the prop got no purchase and spent a lot of the time spinning in mid air. Its dramatic arrival on Nobbys Beach was reported live on ABC radio by several eye witnesses. I arrived just in time to get the snaps as it ran aground. This shot was taken the next day.
Today, 7/8/06, I saw one of the saddest sights I've ever come across. It was a whale; a beached whale; one slit from end to end by a ship's propellor.
It's difficult to explain how gutted I felt. It probably means more now since I've seen them up close in the wild and my youngest son has swam with them in the wild whilst surfing. We were both deeply touched by our experiences and perhaps this is why sorrow overcame me for this wonderful creature of the deep who had found one of the many ways man has devised, intentionally or unintentionally, to slaughter these benign giants of the ocean.
- Pros:Unpolluted generally, very friendly people, handy to a lot of places, excellent seaside living
- Cons:Rubbish in the harbour, overhead power lines
- In a nutshell:Very relaxing, great lifestyle, great beaches
Every December at Civic Park there's an art bazaar. How do I know? Because I was one of the stall holders! One of 120 in... more travel advice
I re-visited this place, this time in summer when many of the flowering plants have moved on from their blossoming stage... more travel advice
- See All Newcastle's best seafood restaurant
- See All Speaking of storms
- See All Vintage
- See All Mucking about in boats
- See All What's on in Wickham
iandsmith's Related Pages
Newcastle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The 21st century, puts the "new" back in Newcastle"
- "Beach Days, Harbour Sights, City Nights"
- "WHY AM I DOING HERE ????"
- "Was Once A Steel City"
- "Sweetberry's Newcastle Page"
- "NEWCASTLE NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle
- Hotels in Newcastle
- Transportation in Newcastle
- Nightlife in Newcastle
- Restaurants in Newcastle
- Shopping in Newcastle
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle
- 152 Reviews
- 301 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 70 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (270)
Have you been to Newcastle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle
- Posted in Travel Grafton Forum "Re: What does Grafton Need?"
- Wrote a Review Newcastle Art Bazaar in Newcastle Things to Do
- updated a Newcastle Travel Page "The 21st century, puts the "new" back in Newcastle"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The changing face"
- Commented on one of aussiedoug's Newcastle travel pages
Photos in NewcastleSee All Photos (301)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos