"A destination of many parts" Top 5 Page for this destination Noosa Heads by iandsmith
Noosa Heads Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 353 photos
It's scary and sad. It was 40 years ago when I first visited Noosa. One of my most vivid memories was surfing at Ti Tree Bay lit by a golden sunset in 5 foot waves totally glassed-off with just a friend of mine for company apart from nature.
These were indeed, the good times.
We camped in a caravan at the end of the main street. It rained every night yet every day was sunny with light offshore winds. It was towards the end of autumn.
One day I drove my old Holden ute onto the beach and past the coloured sands of Teewah accompanied at one stage by an inquisitive osprey. We were on our way to Double Island Point along a 30 kilometre beach drive to one of the world's great surf breaks on the rare occasions when it works. It was just an average wave the day we were there but we had a surf anyway.
A few days later the old ute finally carked it and I sold it for scrap on the Gold Coast on the way home before we hitchhiked to Byron for a few days and then loaded our boards on a train and hitched all the way to Newcastle.
These days there is no caravan park at the end of the main street; when the surf is working it will be crowded and the only place you'll find a ute like the one I had will be in a museum. All I have is the memory.
Today the place has become crassly commercialized, the drive for the tourist dollar blotting out any resemblance of times past. The quiet river is now rent by the noise of hire jetskis and crisscrossed by a myriad of tourist craft; the main street is wall-to-wall shops; motels, apartments and shops vie for space as you travel inland.
Banner holding protesters of the past only served to slow the development, not halt it. There is a feeling of resentment from some locals of what their town has become.
Still, there are still some magic moments to be had, as you will glean from my pages.
- Pros:Good beaches, lots of sunshine, good hinterland
- Cons:Very touristy, it has been discovered
- In a nutshell:Great spot for watersports and general tourism
...and sunshine by nature, that's what this beach at the southern side of Noosa is all about. It's a nice place to go... more travel advice
Ah, don't we just love Steve Irwin. Not since Crocodile Dundee has the land downunder had so much publicity. Wonder what... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Noosa Heads Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A destination of many parts"
- "NOOSA HEADS"
- "Wonderful Location For A Holiday"
- "Noosa has Style"
- "Beautiful Noosa and the Sunshine Coast"
- "Welcome to Noosa"
- "Noosa - A great place for a holiday!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Noosa Heads
- Hotels in Noosa Heads
- Transportation in Noosa Heads
- Nightlife in Noosa Heads
- Restaurants in Noosa Heads
- Shopping in Noosa Heads
- Warnings and Dangers in Noosa Heads
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Noosa Heads
- 31 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Noosa Heads?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Noosa Heads
Photos in Noosa HeadsSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos