"A destination of many parts" Top 5 Page for this destination Noosa Heads by iandsmith

Noosa Heads Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 353 photos

Memories

It's scary and sad. It was 40 years ago when I first visited Noosa. One of my most vivid memories was surfing at Ti Tree Bay lit by a golden sunset in 5 foot waves totally glassed-off with just a friend of mine for company apart from nature.
These were indeed, the good times.
We camped in a caravan at the end of the main street. It rained every night yet every day was sunny with light offshore winds. It was towards the end of autumn.
One day I drove my old Holden ute onto the beach and past the coloured sands of Teewah accompanied at one stage by an inquisitive osprey. We were on our way to Double Island Point along a 30 kilometre beach drive to one of the world's great surf breaks on the rare occasions when it works. It was just an average wave the day we were there but we had a surf anyway.
A few days later the old ute finally carked it and I sold it for scrap on the Gold Coast on the way home before we hitchhiked to Byron for a few days and then loaded our boards on a train and hitched all the way to Newcastle.
These days there is no caravan park at the end of the main street; when the surf is working it will be crowded and the only place you'll find a ute like the one I had will be in a museum. All I have is the memory.
Today the place has become crassly commercialized, the drive for the tourist dollar blotting out any resemblance of times past. The quiet river is now rent by the noise of hire jetskis and crisscrossed by a myriad of tourist craft; the main street is wall-to-wall shops; motels, apartments and shops vie for space as you travel inland.
Banner holding protesters of the past only served to slow the development, not halt it. There is a feeling of resentment from some locals of what their town has become.
Still, there are still some magic moments to be had, as you will glean from my pages.

• Pros:Good beaches, lots of sunshine, good hinterland
  • Cons:Very touristy, it has been discovered
  • In a nutshell:Great spot for watersports and general tourism
  • Last visit to Noosa Heads: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 10, 2004

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I have the same problem...where to write about places on The Sunshine Coast...We need a Sunshine Coast Destination...but VT have not moved in this direction to revamp...and prob the staff I contacted have log gone...
    Al2401 has started A Blackall Range page where she has gathered together her existing tips. If we are to be helpful the info needs to be easy to find...

Oh the BIG PINEAPPLE is still closed but there is hope it will reopen...There are Saturday Markets there.....

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM

It was featured on tele-Globe Trekker show and looks like a great place to see one day. You surely got the best of beach and scenery pictures and comments are very good.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Some of my favourite places- most of these spots have grown more-no stopping the tidal wave of growth in QLD! Did you try a parfait at the Big Pineapple? My cars have been trained to auto pilot themselves there-one of the many secrets of my svelte self!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Wonderful page Ian! And your intro photo of the sunset is stunning! It's sad to read how tourism has 'discovered' this place. But reading your page this stil seems like a great place to visit. And "the blooming footpath" took my breath away: beautiful!!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 3:18 PM

"Overweight old men flashing their torso"??? Yes, Warnings and dangers for sure! I don't remember seeing the volcanoes when I was in those parts! Nice tips and pictures as usual Ian - now PLEASE don't mention the Rugby...

• nandywell's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2004 at 9:14 AM

spent some time in Calundra, Maleny, even went in the clock shop :-)) nice memories thanks for sharing your pics and tips

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 12:32 PM

I did not spend enough time here to enjoy myself. I liked the beach however. Great page.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 5:05 AM

Thanks for the reminder! Beautiful pics...too bad that I missed it on my last trip to OZ... But maybe next year...

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 5:17 PM

What an interesting landscape & great pics ! ...unfortunately Australia is still missing on my map :-(((

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 7:35 PM

The Honeymoon Suite! You must have impressed someone. Great, fun, interesting, informative, and well written pages. Enjoyable read with a touch of your usual wit. Delightful.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Noosa Heads

Have you been to Noosa Heads?

Latest Activity in Noosa Heads