"A nice place to tarry awhile" Orroroo by iandsmith
Orroroo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 20 photos
Orroroo is a distinctly Australian place name of uncertain origin. It has been credited with the meaning:- "Rendezvous of the magpie". This idea has been taken up with one local business, a lovely little coffee shop named "Maggie's Rendezvous."
Orroroo perches on Goyders Line, a line drawn up by Surveyor General Goyder, defining, quite accurately, the boundary between areas of reasonable (by Australian standards) and minimal or marginal rainfall.
The village has approximately 800 residents and is nestled in the southern foothills of the Flinders Ranges.
Orroroo was the scene of an early irrigation scheme that formed with the damming of the Pekina Creek creating the Pekina reservoir. This water supplied irrigation to over fifty dairy farms, supplying products that won prizes in shows as far a-field as London, England. The Butter factory, though in a state of disrepair, still stands complete.
Orroroo had its own flour mill, several bakeries and carriage manufacturer. It was, and still is, a thriving community.
Orroroo is still predominantly a farming community, the main products being wheat, wool, sheep, cattle, pigs and a highly successful kangaroo processor. Fledgling industries potentially being tried include olives, sandstone mining, tourism as well as new approaches to conventional farming.
- Pros:Easy to view, some quirky and interesting historical stuff and the art
- In a nutshell:Worth stopping for a while
This massive tree is estimated to be over 500 years old and was last measured at 10.89 metres girth .61 metres above the... more travel advice
I went into this place not because of the food. I simply liked the atmosphere and I wasn't disappointed. The staff are... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Orroroo Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Orroroo
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Orroroo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orroroo
Photos in OrrorooSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 219 reviews, 518 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues