"Don't forget the penguins" Top 5 Page for this destination Phillip Island by iandsmith

Phillip Island Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 227 photos

Vroom, vroom

I know that for the vast majority of overseas tourists, Phillip Island represents an excursion out of Melbourne to go and see the penguins.
Remember, if you're going to see them, think "cold". It's an exposed area, as it is with most penguin rookeries, and you can expect to have to part with $15 per adult or $60 if you want to get up close and personal. Since I'd already done that at Bicheno for nothing (Penguin the same) and Montague Island where I also got a boat trip and dolphin watching, I have never bothered.
Of course, as with just about every other place, it has more to offer.....much more.
For starters, it has car and motorcycle racing. Now there's a proper reason to go.
It was the reason I went there in the first place and the reason I returned. I've seen penguins elsewhere, once moving among their natural habitat without being guided by anyone and without the crowds. I'd probably have difficulty coming to terms with those here.
Having said that, I've been with around 74,000 people watching a motorcycle race, so perhaps crowds aren't the issue I make them out to be!
I have also seen other things on the island, and these I will share with you and, hopefully, one day my many and varied tips will make it into the top 5 and lots will see what there is to offer.

Surfing

Surfing is one thing you can do on Phillip Island. Having said that I would check out the conditions before you go there. It can be a long way for no result.
This is a picture of my son surfing Woolamai Beach, one of the more popular breaks

• Pros:A fair bit to see and do, motor racing, penguins, surfing
  • Cons:Very exposed to the wind
  • In a nutshell:Naturally, a nice place to visit
  • Last visit to Phillip Island: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM

I would HAVE to visit the penguins even tho like you I've had other close encounters! Love the seascapes too - your walks tips make me want to visit tomorrow! Your great photo of fans unable to wait for loos reminded me of many a footie match, sadly LOL

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Interesting place... the coastline shots reminded in some ways of Iceland. Just proves that Oz is much like the USA... so much to see. :)

• Globetrotter2008's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 6:45 AM

I love penguins....I really recommend Phillip Island...Great blog, Ian.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM

This place has a lot of history! Beautiful photos of your visit to the island, especially rugged Kitty Miller Bay.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 10:16 PM

Och... wee coos!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 6:11 AM

Another fine page.... Nice to see the magnificent scenery and read about the history.

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Phillip Island

Have you been to Phillip Island?

Latest Activity in Phillip Island