"Don't forget the penguins" Top 5 Page for this destination Phillip Island by iandsmith
Phillip Island Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 239 photos
I know that for the vast majority of overseas tourists, Phillip Island represents an excursion out of Melbourne to go and see the penguins.
Remember, if you're going to see them, think "cold". It's an exposed area, as it is with most penguin rookeries, and you can expect to have to part with $15 per adult or $60 if you want to get up close and personal. Since I'd already done that at Bicheno for nothing (Penguin the same) and Montague Island where I also got a boat trip and dolphin watching, I have never bothered.
Of course, as with just about every other place, it has more to offer.....much more.
For starters, it has car and motorcycle racing. Now there's a proper reason to go.
It was the reason I went there in the first place and the reason I returned. I've seen penguins elsewhere, once moving among their natural habitat without being guided by anyone and without the crowds. I'd probably have difficulty coming to terms with those here.
Having said that, I've been with around 74,000 people watching a motorcycle race, so perhaps crowds aren't the issue I make them out to be!
I have also seen other things on the island, and these I will share with you and, hopefully, one day my many and varied tips will make it into the top 5 and lots will see what there is to offer.
Surfing is one thing you can do on Phillip Island. Having said that I would check out the conditions before you go there. It can be a long way for no result.
This is a picture of my son surfing Woolamai Beach, one of the more popular breaks
- Pros:A fair bit to see and do, motor racing, penguins, surfing
- Cons:Very exposed to the wind
- In a nutshell:Naturally, a nice place to visit
Walking Cape Woolamai takes, on average, around 4 hours. Yes, you could do it in three or, if you dawdle, it might take... more travel advice
While technically San Remo isn't actually on Phillip Island, it's the last village just before you cross the bridge and,... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Phillip Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Phillip Island"
- "Don't forget the penguins"
- "PHILLIP ISLAND"
- "A COLD Afternoon on Phillip Island!"
- "One day is Enough"
- "Phillip Island - Interesting Island of Victoria"
- "Phillip Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phillip Island
- Hotels in Phillip Island
- Transportation in Phillip Island
- Nightlife in Phillip Island
- Restaurants in Phillip Island
- Shopping in Phillip Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Phillip Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phillip Island
- 24 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (276)
Have you been to Phillip Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phillip Island
Photos in Phillip IslandSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos