"Don't forget the penguins" Top 5 Page for this destination Phillip Island by iandsmith
Phillip Island Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 227 photos
I know that for the vast majority of overseas tourists, Phillip Island represents an excursion out of Melbourne to go and see the penguins.
Remember, if you're going to see them, think "cold". It's an exposed area, as it is with most penguin rookeries, and you can expect to have to part with $15 per adult or $60 if you want to get up close and personal. Since I'd already done that at Bicheno for nothing (Penguin the same) and Montague Island where I also got a boat trip and dolphin watching, I have never bothered.
Of course, as with just about every other place, it has more to offer.....much more.
For starters, it has car and motorcycle racing. Now there's a proper reason to go.
It was the reason I went there in the first place and the reason I returned. I've seen penguins elsewhere, once moving among their natural habitat without being guided by anyone and without the crowds. I'd probably have difficulty coming to terms with those here.
Having said that, I've been with around 74,000 people watching a motorcycle race, so perhaps crowds aren't the issue I make them out to be!
I have also seen other things on the island, and these I will share with you and, hopefully, one day my many and varied tips will make it into the top 5 and lots will see what there is to offer.
Surfing is one thing you can do on Phillip Island. Having said that I would check out the conditions before you go there. It can be a long way for no result.
This is a picture of my son surfing Woolamai Beach, one of the more popular breaks
- Pros:A fair bit to see and do, motor racing, penguins, surfing
- Cons:Very exposed to the wind
- In a nutshell:Naturally, a nice place to visit
San Remo is the eastern gateway to Westernport Bay and shipping operations fired up here around the 1840's. The township... more travel advice
The year was 2012, Casey Stoner had been deprived of a world championship due to a crash about a month before. All... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Phillip Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Phillip Island"
- "Don't forget the penguins"
- "PHILLIP ISLAND"
- "A COLD Afternoon on Phillip Island!"
- "One day is Enough"
- "Phillip Island - Interesting Island of Victoria"
- "Phillip Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phillip Island
- Hotels in Phillip Island
- Transportation in Phillip Island
- Nightlife in Phillip Island
- Restaurants in Phillip Island
- Shopping in Phillip Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Phillip Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phillip Island
- 23 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Phillip Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phillip Island
Photos in Phillip IslandSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos