"Port Macquarie - not just for holidays" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Macquarie by iandsmith
Port Macquarie Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 455 photos
Port was always known as "God's waiting room". It referred to the propensity of tourists who had holidayed there and ended up retiring there. The majority of them were from south of the town. Sydney, for one, and particularly Melbourne, from where the idyllic temperatures and seaside lifestyle seemed like a magnet but, as time went by and more people moved there and younger people were required to service the increasing tourist demand, it slowly blossomed. Then, in the late 20th century, it boomed. In a seemingly few short years it doubled in population and spread into areas that I remember pointing out to my family as lovely bush.
Now it still retains its allure. Good shopping, excellent fishing, good sports venues and generally good weather make for a nice lifestyle.
As far as beaches go, personally I used to go elsewhere and still do. I find the ones here pretty but not good for surf. North or south of Port the beaches are far superior. The exception is Lighthouse Beach.
Some of Australia's finest rainforest lies in the hinterland though it's rarely visited by tourists.
Comboyne (see my Comboyne pages) is absolutely stunning yet most people in Port have never been there though it's just half an hour up the road.
Wilson River Reserve and Werrikimbe are further inland, the former is one of Australia's finest rainforest pockets with several waterfalls and a picturesque stream to boot.
This shot is taken at Werrikimbe and shows King Fern Falls which you will come across should you take the 2km walk from Plateau Beech camping area.
- Pros:Great weather, nice feel, relaxed atmosphere, wonderful hinterland
- Cons:Poor beaches
- In a nutshell:A nice place to holiday
In 2003 an honesty box appeared on the side of the Pacific Highway not far from Port Macquarie, a little north in fact... more travel advice
So I unpacked my gear and cast two lines out. It wasn't long before I was getting bites, albeit little ones. Still, it... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Port Macquarie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT MACQUARIE"
- "Best Destination On NSW North Coast"
- "Port Macquarie - not just for holidays"
- "Holiday destination on the Mid North Coast."
- "SECOND PORT OF CALL"
- "Port Macquarie"
- "A nice little Australian town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Macquarie
- Hotels in Port Macquarie
- Transportation in Port Macquarie
- Restaurants in Port Macquarie
- Shopping in Port Macquarie
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Macquarie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Macquarie
- 40 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Port Macquarie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Macquarie
- Posted in Travel Newcastle Forum "Re: Newcastle, NSW in Late January"
- Wrote a Review Ricardo's Tomatoes in Port Macquarie Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ricardo's Tomatoes"
- Commented on one of unravelau's Port Macquarie travel pages
- updated a Port Macquarie Travel Page "Port Macquarie - not just for holidays"
Photos in Port MacquarieSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos