"Industry and history" Port Pirie by iandsmith
Port Pirie Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 30 photos
Being the 6th largest town in South Australia isn't really a great claim to fame but it is one of things listed for Port Pirie in tourist literature.
You'll find it about 220 kms north of Adelaide on the eastern shore of Spencer Gulf.
The driving force behind the town are the huge silver, lead and zinc smelters which process the raw ore brought from Broken Hill and the large port needed to move it offshore.
Port Pirie proudly announces itself as 'The City of Friendly People' although the first sight one has is not of people but of the huge oil tanks on the outskirts of town and the grain silos. However, overriding all is the tall chimney at the smelter. It would be easy for the traveller to feel that here was a big smelly industrial city and keep driving but this would be to miss some fascinating buildings and a genuinely beautiful and gracious main street.
- Pros:Nice architecture, good shopping
- In a nutshell:Worth a stop
We dropped into the old church (pic 2) that is now a busy fish shop. There's an upstairs section as well in this... more travel advice
Port Pirie has a population of over 16,000. NyrStar operates one of the largest smelters in the world, exporting large... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Port Pirie Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Pirie
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Port Pirie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Pirie
Photos in Port PirieSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos