"Spuds are us" Robertson by iandsmith
Robertson Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 73 photos
Robertson is still a true Country Village with wide streets and ample parking. There are pleasant Village walks; you can stroll through Woodlands, beside a pretty stream beyond Hampden Park; explore the original Rainforest of the Yarrawa Brush or visit the Heritage Railway Station in the heart of town with regular Exhibitions at its Fettlers Shed Gallery.
The town is noted for its distinctive red volcanic basalt soil which is known as Robertson soil. This productive soil, good rainfall and cool winters have made the town the centre of the largest potato-growing area in NSW. In fact, along with any with Australian country town trying to get noticed, the main street boasts a large brown, cylindrical object which, although not marked, one assumes correctly is The Big Potato.
The town is also the centre of a dairy industry with an old dairy factory at the eastern end of the town. It was also the setting for the very European-English countryside of the Australian movie Babe.
- Pros:Easy to find, some quirky shops, good natural attractions nearby
I stayed here many years ago and, while I was there, took a picture of a pet wombat they used to have and it won me a... more travel advice
Charles Throsby was passing south from the Moss Vale area to Kangaroo Valley in 1818, en route to Jervis Bay and he sent... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Robertson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Robertson: Waterfalls and Setting for "Babe"!"
- "Spuds are us"
- "Welcome to Robertson!"
- "Lush and Green Robertson"
- "The Robertson Cheese Factory"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Robertson
- 9 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (276)
Have you been to Robertson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Robertson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos