"The Roof of Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Snowy Mountains by iandsmith
Snowy Mountains Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 195 photos
The Snowy Mountains are not, by world standards, very high and they do not conform to most people's ideas of what a snow covered slope should look like.
This however, should not detract from the type of beauty they have to offer. It is a harsh and time worn plateau that the winds lash. Rocks ground down by the relentless wearing of the weather and trees unique in the world reflecting such circumstances.
The slopes are not steep in the European, Himalayan or American manner but do have a lot of trees and, sometimes, a lot of snow but you wouldn't book a ticket here to get the best in powder. For fun and partying the Australian ski season is hard to beat though.
That's probably why my eldest son chose the Snowys for his bucks' weekend! Sadly, while they were out enjoying themselves, his father was in bed suffering from concussion.
The vast majority of people who come here do so in winter to enjoy Australia's best ski resorts and look at the great mountains beyond where there are sadly, in my opinion, no lifts.
A steadily increasing number however are coming down in summer holidays to enjoy the cooler climate and experience the Australian bush. I haven't managed it yet but I have been in spring and that's when you're apt to get scenes like this when the rivers are splashing with snow melt.
These days the summer is becoming more popular and I finally managed it. I got to do 5 walks and plan to return next year.
I did return and did another 5 walks so I've seen a reasonable amount of the national park though nowhere near as much as the regulars.
Not unexpectedly there is some special scenery down here that is only visible in summer, particularly the wildflowers and tarns.
Rainbow Lake was one such place.
- Pros:Easy slopes, lovely trees, nice people, great party atmosphere, some excellent walks
- Cons:Not great depth of snows
- In a nutshell:Picturesque, cold, Snowy Mountains Scheme, great walks and mountain biking.
We departed after a brief photographic session and stopped en route to Yarrangobilly Caves at Coolamine Homestead, a... more travel advice
Other trekkers came and went as we grafted our way along the narrow trail past snow gums until, at times, the trail... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Snowy Mountains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Roof of Australia"
- "Snowy Mountains and Kosciuszcko NP"
- "Snowy Mountains - A place for all seasons!"
- "The wild "Hinterland" - Snowy River Country"
- "Snowy Mountains & Kosciuszko National Park"
- "Snowy Mountains"
- "Snowy River Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Snowy Mountains
- Hotels in Snowy Mountains
- Transportation in Snowy Mountains
- Restaurants in Snowy Mountains
- Shopping in Snowy Mountains
- Warnings and Dangers in Snowy Mountains
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Snowy Mountains
- 49 Reviews
- 138 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Snowy Mountains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Snowy Mountains
Photos in Snowy MountainsSee All Photos (138)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 219 reviews, 518 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Snowy Mountains hotel reviews
- Novotel Lake Crackenback Resort Snowy Mountains
- 1 Review & Opinion