"Let the dream begin" Streaky Bay by iandsmith

Streaky Bay Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 148 photos

Streaky Bay - tourism on the move

It was a two week odyssey. The plan was to go fishing from Coffin Bay and see Whalers Way. Anything else would be a bonus. It turned out the whole trip was a bonus.
The first time we saw the ocean was at Streaky Bay. It was also where a bracket broke that had been holding my bike onto the rear of the motorhome and it was bouncing unceremoniously on the seat and handlebars while being still held by the wheels. Not happy Ian when he found out!
Streaky Bay is going all out to attract tourists as evidenced by the wad of brochures they thrust into your hands at the newly appointed tourist office. Very impressive. They certainly pointed us to places I hadn't researched and left me wanting to see more.

• Pros:Tourist friendly, good range of accommodation, great scenery
  • Cons:A bit distant from anywhere
  • In a nutshell:Would return again
  • Last visit to Streaky Bay: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the sights you have described so well!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 4:03 AM

Fantastic. Murphy's Haystacks look like giant fungi! The lone motorhome on the beach is a familiar sight for us. Who needs faciliities?

• Diceman_'s Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 7:17 AM

I've been interested in exploring the Eyre Peninsula outside Whyalla (where I've visited relatives previously), now I have an idea of what's actually out there. Looks like it's worth the trip.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 5:35 PM

Pristine nature, otherworldly outcroppings, a quaint town and a local pie shop...not much more you can ask for now is there?

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 3:27 PM

What a beautiful place - must say those enticing sand dunes took me back! Smooth pool and meat pies sounds like a plan!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 7:44 AM

I can see why you were impressed with this area!! Those sculpted granite boulders are really impressive, not to mention the sand dunes, the beach cliffs.....

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:51 PM

Well Ian, you certainly do your research, take great photos (with a tripod) and write wonderful reports. No wonder I feel that vt is blessed to have you telling all about Australia (and other places). Don't want a haemorraging gear box myself either. LOL

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 11:47 PM

You're right, it's very similar to Port Campbell etc. I'll have to go here too!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Streaky Bay

Have you been to Streaky Bay?

Latest Activity in Streaky Bay