"Yee-hah" Top 5 Page for this destination Tamworth by iandsmith
Tamworth Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 256 photos
Well, let's be honest. Think Tamworth, think country music. If you don't live in the vicinity and haven't got relatives there well, that's all you are likely to know about Tamworth.
What it is is a rural town that has survived the rural downturn and generally has an air of prosperity about it, helped in no small measure by the country music festival that takes place on the week running into the 26th January. The only problem is that it's either too hot or the place is flooded when the festival is on. There seems to be no in between. Fortunately the latter doesn't happen too often though the former can be uncomfortable. Inside some of the venues there is no air conditioning and, even where there is it is stretched beyond its limit more often than not.
The talent on show varies from world class to "why-on-earth-would-you-bother?" though it is fair to suggest that the large majority of acts are well worth watching.
From the street buskers to the crowded Entertainment Centre where the Golden Guitar awards are handed out, there's something that everyone can afford.
2004 saw the passing of Australia's greatest (no-one else comes remotely close) country music legend Slim Dusty. Here was a man who never lost his values, never got above his station in life, eschewed all that country music stands for. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about this man. May you rest in peace Slim.
This is a shot of some mosaics at the main intersection in Peel Street.
Tamworth has some lovely parks. Not dramatically spectacular, just very human in scale and nice to be in. My favourite is Anzac Park on the hill on the north of Tamworth which also happens to be the area where much of the lovely architecture is as well.
This is a great area to spend some time walking around. Decidedly pleasant if I may say so.
I used to go to Tamworth a lot with my job, now I'm an irregular visitor but still I've managed to get to the Country Music Week four times.
You have to remember that country music is only a part of what goes on. Here is an example of other things you might see....the world's most poisonous snake.
And that's only the tip of the iceberg, there are so many other types of music to be had during Country Music Week.
- Pros:Country music, a good stop en route Sydney-Brisbane, nice parks
- Cons:Hot in summer
- In a nutshell:Busy rural town with nice hillside suburbs.
Being critical of people who have made an effort is not something I particularly enjoy but, I feel it incumbent upon... more travel advice
Tamworth's base is a rural economy, though these days there are lots of small industries in the industrial parks.... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Tamworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COUNTRY MUSIC CAPITAL OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Country Music Capital of Australia"
- "Sweetberry's Tamworth Page.."
- "Leave the Tableland and find Tamworth"
- "Tamworth - Country Music Capital"
- "Tamworth - Australia's Home of Country Music"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tamworth
- Hotels in Tamworth
- Transportation in Tamworth
- Nightlife in Tamworth
- Restaurants in Tamworth
- Warnings and Dangers in Tamworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tamworth
- 36 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Tamworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tamworth
Photos in TamworthSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos