"Walhalla - more than just a one horse town" Walhalla by iandsmith

Walhalla Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 36 photos

A Ride into History

Walhalla, the name alone evokes mystery. Shades of Valhalla you may well think and you'd be right.
This is one of Victoria's treasures and rightly so.
An old gold mining town it still retains many of the original buildings and you can still go down one of the old mines.
The day we were there just happened to coincide with a charity horse ride so we got more of an historical feel than we bargained for.

• Pros:Great atmosphere, good history, very scenic
  • Cons:A bit out of the way
  • In a nutshell:I already plan to return there
  • Last visit to Walhalla: Oct 2006
  • Intro Written Oct 8, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Nice page! Love the old cemeteries, but they are so sad! Haven't visited here for donkey's years, it was a ghost town then, now, it looks like they have done up some buildings and is attracting tourists.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 8:55 PM

My father lived at Walhalla for a while, I've never been, an omission I'm planning to remedy in May. I love Australia's gold-mining past. Great stuff, Ian. leyle

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 2:09 PM

I wondered if this Walhalla had anything to do with the mythological place where German warriors were thought to be buried. I wonder if it looked like the amazing cemetery where coffins must be securely roped up!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 1:40 PM

I've always thought Walhalla was just a fictional place that Richard Wagner dreamt up for his operas. But this one looks very real, though a bit depleted compared to former times. Nice looking historic railway!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 7:02 AM

fine tips, Ian & a pleasure to read what you have to tell me! I would love visiting an old mining town with an old bandstand....thanks, elisabeth

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 6:05 AM

I've been to Walhalla in the mountains of South Carolina. The two towns actually have a few things in common. An enjoyable read.

• fouads's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 9:39 PM

i liked the gold mine , did you find something there , let us discover :-))

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Walhalla

Have you been to Walhalla?

Latest Activity in Walhalla