"Warrnambool - a town for the future" Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool by iandsmith
Warrnambool Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 138 photos
Warrnambool, situated on the south west Victorian coast, seems to be a city undecided whether to preserve the past or go headlong into the future.
Far and away its number one attraction, Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum, is firmly rooted in the past yet when they pull down historic pubs to put up blocks of flats you have to question the sincerity of the town planners' will.
Having got that off my chest, Warrnambool is an eclectic mixture of history and modernity. Some of the lovely old facades are still in place yet in the suburbs it is often bland brick or fake wooden houses that dominate.
Due to its isolated proximity Warrnambool has accumulated lots of quality facilities to go with its position as the largest town for some considerable distance, the racetrack being a prime example.
The classy Regional Art Gallery, Cheeseworld and the Ullman Gallery (birds and wildlife) are some of the other highlights.
It also has many industries and you can't avoid noticing some of the blights on the landscape wherever you are in the town.
As it's located seaside with a harbour, the reason for its existence, it also boasts a splendid beach as well as a rugged headland. It is from this headland and other places that you can view whales and, in particular, the Southern Right Whale, so named because of its desirability as a good whale to harpoon because they didn't dive like many others. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and the Japanese whaling fleet will be denied the nod by the whaling commission to slaughter these in the future.
The Great Ocean Road is mainly used for access to the town these days but it was as recently as 1918 when World War I diggers (Aussie term for soldier) were put to work on the cliff face above Lorne, a town further east, that eventually led to the opening of one of Australia's most famous roads.
Cape Otway Lighthouse, en route, is Australia's oldest mainland lighthouse.
- Pros:Flagstaff Hill, nice beach, good facilities
- Cons:Ugly industries
- In a nutshell:Worth staying and having a look around
Depending on where you park, at first glance, or even second or third, this may not appear to be an island. In fact it... more travel advice
If you are one of those who like to wander and have time then the self-guided historical tour may be right up your alley... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Warrnambool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Warrnambool on the Great Ocean Road (ver. ENG/FR)"
- "Where the Whales Play"
- "Cockatoos and Majestic Gums"
- "Warrnambool - a town for the future"
- "Warrnambool, Wind, Sand, Sea, Surf"
- "Welcome to Warrnambool - Largest City on GOR"
- "Largest city on the Great Ocean Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Warrnambool
- Hotels in Warrnambool
- Transportation in Warrnambool
- Nightlife in Warrnambool
- Restaurants in Warrnambool
- Shopping in Warrnambool
- Warnings and Dangers in Warrnambool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Warrnambool
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Warrnambool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Warrnambool
- Posted in Travel Cairns Forum "Re: budget and activities ."
- updated a Warrnambool Travel Page "Warrnambool - a town for the future"
- Wrote a Review Lake Pertobe Adventure Playground in Warrnambool Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Botanical Gardens"
- Commented on one of Kate-Me's Warrnambool travel pages
Photos in WarrnamboolSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos