"The Prom - a place for nature" Top 5 Page for this destination Wilsons Promontory National Park by iandsmith

A park for all seasons.

With 50,612 hectares to explore, you'll need more than a day trip to see much of Wilsons Promontory yet that shouldn't deter you from making a day trip there for there are ample amounts of scenery to soak up on a day trip.
The hardy types can satisfy themselves with several longer walks, the most attractive of which would be the trek to the lighthouse and back where these days, subject to bookings, you can at least get some home comforts in the new B&B there.
Two of the other highlights are Squeaky Beach, one of the world's finest (and not a high rise in sight) and the oft-climbed Mt. Oberon, at the time of writing in healing mode.
If you have ever thought you might like to go there, as I had been pondering, I would recommend that you make plans. It's that good.

The second time around

The second time I went there was in spring. Wow, wildflowers everywhere with the same beautiful beaches.
I went for a walk to Little Oberon Beach. The colours and the day were sublime. You can see what I'm talking about in the "Off the Beaten Track" section.

• Pros:Wonderful beaches, nature, scenery, walks.
  • Cons:Can get windy
  • In a nutshell:One of Australia's great National Parks
  • Last visit to Wilsons Promontory National Park: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2007

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 3:03 AM

Hi Ian, great page on one of my favourite places in Australia. I just wish we had spent more time there. Cute pic of the hedgehog on the beach, too!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 1:49 AM

Wonderful page!!!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Beautiful photos. Thanks for introducing me to a place I hadn't heard about. Great story about your visit. Well, with lost wallets and bird %^&^& aside. :)

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 4:25 AM

Oh, those beaches and white sand. Just beautiful.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2006 at 6:54 PM

I hear there's a fire at the Prom today...what are you and Rosemarie up to??

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Wonderful reading of your trip here. LOL, maybe you should put the rosellass under "warning and danger" ;)

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Looks like a very beautiful and interesting area, though too bad about the fire. It reminds me somewhat of Big Sur

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 10:13 AM

Another place high on my list that I also missed. Great shots of a beautiful place, Ian.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 3:41 AM

Thanks for the views into the Prom... we are going to make a weekend of this soon!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2005 at 8:11 PM

It is always a pain to wander in treasured lands after a fire and remember what was. On the other hand, the mushrooms will be coming up big in a year or two:-] Fine pics!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Wilsons Promontory National Park

Have you been to Wilsons Promontory National Park?