"Getting there IS half the fun" Yarrangobilly Caves by iandsmith
Yarrangobilly Caves Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
Situated 6.5 kms off the Snowy Mountains Highway, approximately 80 klms from Tumut, Yarrangobilly Caves is a hidden delight for those wishing to go off the beaten track and view some of the most spectacular limestone caverns in Australia.
Access to the Yarrangobilly Caves is via a one way, winding and steep, dirt road, not suitable for caravans or larger vehicles such as buses. The road can be impassable in winter due to snow, so please check for road conditions before attempting the drive. The journey into the cave area is well worth the effort as the caves are a wonderful insight into the world of limestone formations, stalactites and stalagmites, with self guided and guided tours available from 9.00am to 5.00pm daily.
Inside the caves, visitors can view nature;s glory with a host of beautiful and delicate straws, intricate shawls, columns and underground pools just waiting to show their real beauty. There are are an estimated 60 caves in the area, of which just four - South Glory Cave, North Glory Cave, Jersey Cave and Jillabenan Cave, are open to the public. Other caves can be toured by prior arrangement with Park Management.
Entrance fees are payable for all cave tours and obtainable from the Yarrangobilly Caves Information and Visitor Centre. Drinks, soft drinks, ice cream and light snacks are available, along with souvenirs and mementos. There is no cafe, so bring your own meals if you need more than potato chips and chocolate.
See my Adelong pages for where I stayed
Yarrangobilly Caves Guest House Accommodation
The Yarrangobilly Caves House is a beautiful restored federation building. Comfortably furnished in a style that reflects the time, the Caves House is a fantastic way to spend quality time in quiet solitude within the peaceful valley.
Carefully restored to offer self-contained heritage accommodation, including a fully equipped kitchen, dining room, family/lounge room, verandah and outdoor barbeque area.
Two wings of the Caves Guest House can be hired as accommodation but you do need to book ahead for a minimum of a 2 night stay. One wing sleeps 7 guests while the second wing sleeps 9 people. The cost is around $200 per night per wing, which is quite inexpensive when booking a group outing. Accommodation is fully self contained. Bring your own linen or prearrange linen hire at time of booking. This is the only accommodation at Yarrangobilly Caves, so book well ahead to avoid disappointment.
Caves House Inquiries and Bookings
Tumut Region Visitor Information Centre
Old Butter Factory
Adelong Road Tumut NSW 2720
Phone 02 69477025
Once you've paid to get into Kosciuszko NP there are several places you can camp for free. One is the place Yarrangobilly, not to be confused with Yarangobilly Caves.
When we camped there toilets were available and a new office and museum were being built for the NPWS.
- Pros:Some of the best formations you'll ever see; the thermal pool
- Cons:Not close to anywhere else
- In a nutshell:Worth a look
We walked to the Glory Hole, the original settlement here. Poignant reminders of the past still peeped through the... more travel advice
First found in 1834 by stockman John Bowman, who was searching the Yarrangobilly River area for stray cattle. Bowman... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Yarrangobilly Caves Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Yarrangobilly Caves
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Yarrangobilly Caves?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yarrangobilly Caves
Photos in Yarrangobilly CavesSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos