"Sallanches, more than a place to bypass" Sallanches by iandsmith
Sallanches Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Sallanches is situated on the Sallanche river within sight of Mont Blanc, west of Chamonix and north of Megeve. The imposing form Mont Blanc ensures that there are impressive views from many places in and around the town.
Sallanches features two historic edifices: the bridge of Saint-Martin and the collegiale Church of Saint-Jacques.
The collegiale church was constructed in baroque style in the 17th century on the site of an older church) and has a decorative interior with wall and ceiling paintings added in the 19th century by Italian artists, and a medieval tabernacle. The sundial on the church was added in the middle of the 19th century.
The ancient bridge has been the river has been battered by the river over centuries. Now pedestrian only there are lovely views from the middle of the bridge along the wood lined banks of the river and to the mountains beyond.
There is also the smaller Church of Saint-Martin and several small chapels in Sallanches, and a walk along the river banks.
- Pros:Good markets, good views, gorgeous park
- In a nutshell:Don't miss the waterfall
We were thinking of stopping for the park but it was the market that finally did us in. It was Saturday so it's fair to... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Sallanches Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sallanches
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to Sallanches?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sallanches
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos