"Putting the "corn" back in Cornwall" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall by iandsmith

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,687 reviews and 4,315 photos

Hidden beauty

Cornwall has been described as an average picture in a glorious frame. Now that I have been there I can see why someone might end up with that impression. The rolling countryside at times is pleasant without being outstanding while the mysterious fishing villages and dramatic cliffs have an aura all their own.
To my mind though, this belies the hidden treasures that an average traveller could easily bypass. Having joined the National Trust at Corfe Castle for a measly 48 pounds for the two of us (there was an internet special on) it was only fair and reasonable I got my money's worth. Suffice it to say that we had comfortably done that even before we left Cornwall.
Treasures such as Lanhydrock, Cothele, Trelissick, Trengwainton and Mont St. Michael are there to be viewed, and look we did.
I vividly remember when Rosemarie and I were in the small museum at Lanhydrock and she beckoned me to the window. I thought all my Christmasses had come at once. Hastening outside I proceeded to rack off about half a roll of film on this stunning garden. I do hope you find something pleasant about it as well.

It's all about fishing villages

Think Cornwall and you can't help but think fishing villages. Every nook and cranny carved by unrelenting nature into the coastline seems to be a harbour for at least a couple of vessels and, more often that not, the tide seems to be out.
Tales of smugglers, brigands and just plain fishermen abound, so much so that in this village of Polperro they even have a museum of it all.
It just amazed me how some people make a living out of this industry, beset by the vagaries of the weather and the difficult mooring situation.

Gone to the dogs

After a few days, we couldn't help but remark on the number of dogs we'd seen. They seemed to be at every historical place we went to but we really freaked out when we saw people walking them around the precipitous Tintagel. It turns out that it's an English thing of course. Cornwall was no different to the rest of the country and I have to say that the dogs certainly seemed to be happy ones.
Of course, "gone to the dogs" is a descriptive term that can be used in many different ways these days and I applied it to the weather I encountered during our week on the peninsula.
It rained for five and a half days out of the seven and, the best day of all was slightly blighted by the fresh to strong winds that buffetted Fowey. This was balanced somewhat by the meeting with fellow VTers Sir Geoff and his lovely wife Mary.
I remember taking this shot when the weather had "gone to the dogs". Nearly stuck in mud with wind and driving rain, umbrella in one hand and camera in the other, I held little hope that you would even be able to see anything without it being blurred but, in the end, my perseverance was rewarded.

• Pros:Glorious gardens, lovely coastal villages, lots to see
  • Cons:Weather
  • In a nutshell:Different from the rest of England, mostly due to the weather
  • Last visit to Cornwall: Oct 2005
  • Intro Written Nov 27, 2005

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Lovely pictures. Very nice tour!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Great virtual tour of Cornwall! I plan to visit next year and then hope to do some hiking along the coast, and I hope for some nice weather too :)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
      Dec 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write and for the ratings. Cheers, Ian

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Looks like a wonderfulplace to visit. Lanhydrock...WOW! Thanks for sharing!

• ardnas67's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM

love to read your tips about Cornwall. We'll visite it the coming year. greetings Sandra

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM

We joined the NT on a visit to Lanhydrock in 1984 - a good decision. We are looking forward to a week on Bodmin Moor next month - your pages are an excellent refresher. Many Thanks.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Just noticed I visited these pages before, but still Very impressive Cornwall pages. Enjoyed reading the tips.If there is an attraction to see or a good view, be sure u will find a paying car park, maye a souvenir shop or cafe.. Tim

• May 5, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Another fabulous page - I could while away the morning reading about Cornwall, the land of my ancestors, but I have things to do.. I'll be back later to finish reading.. "good service and plastic chairs" LOL! :))

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 6:35 AM

Am considering a short foray into Cornwall this year. As always your tips are interesting, personal, humorous and informative. Thanks. Hope all is well down under.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 2:58 AM

Ian, looks like you had a great time down there in Cornwall, such a beautiful part of England, all the best Cliffie

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 4:17 AM

Wow, Ian, you really covered a lot of ground in Cornwall! Great tips and photos that bring back many memories of warm summer days spent in this 'end of England'!! So much history and cliffs to boot!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

Latest Activity in Cornwall