"Villandry - Garden history" Villandry by iandsmith
Villandry Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 266 photos
An imaginative early twentieth century re-creation of a renaissance garden. The moated Chateau that we see today dates from c1536 and had a formal garden in the eighteenth century. The present garden dates from the years after 1906 when it was bought by a Spanish doctor, Dr Joachim Carvallo. Inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, he wished the garden to have a sixteenth century character and designed most of the garden himself. Great horticultural skill was deployed, especially in the use of vegetables. An arbour of grape vines leads to a great parterre, conceived as a Garden of Music. On the other side of the canal is a Garden of Love. Symbolising the moods of love, it looks rectangular from the chateau but is actually trapezoid. The aesthetically designed vegetable garden is based on an illustration from Du Cerceau's Les plus excellents bastiments de France (1576). So,despite its origins, the Villandry garden is the work of a twentieth century imagination.
Its 12th century origins are still visible in the form of the square tower, or keep.
- Pros:One of the great gardens, very good chateau, plenty of parking
- In a nutshell:Definitely deserving of its reputation, if you're into gardens, go there
Passionate collectors of old paintings, with a preference for the "Golden Century" (17th) of Spanish Art. In point of... more travel advice
In the Oriental Drawing Room there is a unique ceiling with a fascinating history. It was once part of the 15th century... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Villandry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WHAT A GARDEN!"
- "Château de Villandry: Gardens of Earthly Delights"
- "Villandry and It's Special Gardens"
- "Chateau de Villandry"
- "Chateau and Gardens at Villandry"
- ""Painting" with Plants"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villandry
- Hotels in Villandry
- Restaurants in Villandry
- Shopping in Villandry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villandry
- 21 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Villandry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villandry
Photos in VillandrySee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 218 reviews, 513 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues