"Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining" Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg by iandsmith

Bamberg Travel Guide: 436 reviews and 1,347 photos

Saved

This is a World Heritage Listed town that has escaped the ravages of modern wars and it retains an historic charm that cannot fail to win the visitor over.
How prophetic that the reason it is as you now see it is because of the weather. In 1945 it was listed to be bombed and the night raid commenced but when they reached Bamberg there was 10/10ths cloud and they went elsewhere.
Bamberg is more than a World Heritage listed city though, it is also busy manufacturing beer, electrical equipment, textiles, and leather goods.

Out and about

The Rathous (town hall) building is probably the highlight with its painted walls but Maximilianplatz, little Venice and the churches on the hill are other highlights.
You should also spend time in the wonderful park that is an island in the middle of the Regnitz. Each morning I would avoid transport and deliberately stroll the earthen paths past its sculptures as the river bore its load ever onward to the sea beneath the overhanging deciduous trees that line the banks.

• Pros:Beautifullly preserved historical centre, very interesting, excellent restaurants
  • In a nutshell:Highly recommended destination
  • Last visit to Bamberg: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2010

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Lovely page. Great photos. Irene

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Thank you Ian for bringing back sweet memory about this wonderful Frankonian city! I had a pleasure to visit it in 2009 and I'm still under impression...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM

You did a nice job of capturing the culture of the city and its people. The unique sites were good, and the ceiling view made me dizzy looking up.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Wunderbar page on Bamberg, Ian. I love Germany and this was another chance to explore part of the country unfamiliar to me. I have to tell you - that exploded brain sculpture.... I think ::I:: look like that sometimes. :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Ah, finally I found your page back! Fantastic tips and descriptions, thanks for your sweet comment :-) And... of all photographers I know you take the best night shots! Tintoretto? Wow, I really must go visit Bamberg one day!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

How come you have all these comments on your Bamberg page and I can't get anyone on my Rome pages? (And don't tell me everyone is afraid to get doggie doo on their shoe!) Especially liked Rathaus by night. Trekki knows alot of stuff.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Your tip for Bamberger Hain is most interesting. I will be sure to walk there when I am in Bamberg in Sept. Regards, Kate

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Bamberg

Have you been to Bamberg?

Latest Activity in Bamberg