"Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint" Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden by iandsmith

Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 827 photos

Berchtesgaden - getting high

I had been before, liked it so much I wanted to return and return I did; only this time I would do the lake cruise, see the church at Ramsau and go again to Jenner, this time making sure the weather was fine.
When I arrived, my host suggested the “Painters Corner Walk”, a route that takes you to one of the nicest views over Koenigsee and the only one where you can view the picturesque church of Saint Bartholomae without catching the boats; obviously named after the painters who used to do the hike with their easels and then sit and reflect on the delights of the view.
Its official title is Malerwinkl Ring Trail.
In the end, during my four days there, I did none of the aforementioned.
It must make you wonder why I even bothered to think about these things when I ended up not seeing any of them but there’s such a thing called fate, and, in my world, it has a way of intervening.

Where fate can lead you

I was heading for Hintersee and managed to get lost en route. About two hours into getting lost I came upon this scene and thought the rock formations were absolutely amazing. The way the layers are folded is extraordinary. Wimbachschloss is a place worth visiting.

In search of the exotic

The third time I made up for some of my earlier misses and actually got to do the boat trip and do the walk to Malerwinkel.
However, as usual, I couldn't resist searching for the exotic and, on one occasion I was trying to get to the Ice Chapel, a famous cave that permanently has ice hanging from the roof.
Although I never did get there, along the route I was surprised to see this little pretty chapel. You can read all about it in my tips.

• Pros:Spectacular scenery, lots of walking opportunites, set up for tourists
  • Cons:Lots of tourists in season
  • In a nutshell:One of Europe's most scenic places.
  • Last visit to Berchtesgaden: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2008

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Hi your pics sure show a lovely area - i visited once but it rained the whole time so im yet to go back but particularly to get up to Eagles Nest the house that Hitler took over. did you not get up to it?all the best

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Next time atop the Jenner, turn south, a direction that is simply magic - and one in which it is hard to get lost upon;-]

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Isn't it fun to let fate fill your day with little surprises... and you too may live to a 3 digit year with all that walking!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM

some amazing natural scenery. My husband would love to try one of those parachutes. Not me, tho. I'm staying on the ground...in fact, bottom of the mountain. :-)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 6:48 AM

I just loved reading about your long Wimbach walk. I did the same walk last year, but a few weeks later. My highlight was touching a snake!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Wow - you are brave !! Paragliding !! And you did see one of the lovely parts of Bavaria, too :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Hi Ian, it was great to meet you here in Frankfurt when you arrived in February. Your visit to Berchtesgaden seems to have been -- er -- eventful. I hope you've been having some good times at all your destinations. Have a great rest-of-your-trip. -- Don

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Amazing scenery! Thank you for sharing.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 5:36 PM

If you are still there, I just read about a brewery. Let me know how it is! Prost.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden

Have you been to Berchtesgaden?

Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden