"Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint" Top 5 Page for this destination Berchtesgaden by iandsmith
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 830 photos
I had been before, liked it so much I wanted to return and return I did; only this time I would do the lake cruise, see the church at Ramsau and go again to Jenner, this time making sure the weather was fine.
When I arrived, my host suggested the “Painters Corner Walk”, a route that takes you to one of the nicest views over Koenigsee and the only one where you can view the picturesque church of Saint Bartholomae without catching the boats; obviously named after the painters who used to do the hike with their easels and then sit and reflect on the delights of the view.
Its official title is Malerwinkl Ring Trail.
In the end, during my four days there, I did none of the aforementioned.
It must make you wonder why I even bothered to think about these things when I ended up not seeing any of them but there’s such a thing called fate, and, in my world, it has a way of intervening.
I was heading for Hintersee and managed to get lost en route. About two hours into getting lost I came upon this scene and thought the rock formations were absolutely amazing. The way the layers are folded is extraordinary. Wimbachschloss is a place worth visiting.
The third time I made up for some of my earlier misses and actually got to do the boat trip and do the walk to Malerwinkel.
However, as usual, I couldn't resist searching for the exotic and, on one occasion I was trying to get to the Ice Chapel, a famous cave that permanently has ice hanging from the roof.
Although I never did get there, along the route I was surprised to see this little pretty chapel. You can read all about it in my tips.
- Pros:Spectacular scenery, lots of walking opportunites, set up for tourists
- Cons:Lots of tourists in season
- In a nutshell:One of Europe's most scenic places.
Just a few hundred metres from the shore when you take off on your cruise of Koenigsee you'll see a small moniment on an... more travel advice
It was some time before we reached Ramsau. The trail meanders a little but you'll never get lost and the main road is... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Berchtesgaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic mountains & also some sort of history"
- "Bavarian Beauty"
- "Berchtesgaden - a meanderer's viewpoint"
- "Side Trip to Bavaria"
- "More pictures from Konigsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berchtesgaden
- Hotels in Berchtesgaden
- Transportation in Berchtesgaden
- Nightlife in Berchtesgaden
- Restaurants in Berchtesgaden
- Shopping in Berchtesgaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Berchtesgaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berchtesgaden
- 37 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to Berchtesgaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berchtesgaden
Photos in BerchtesgadenSee All Photos (133)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos