Hawaii (State of) Local Custom Tips by TropicGirl77 Top 5 Page for this destination
Hawaii (State of) Local Customs: 64 reviews and 70 photos
Here is a traditional flower lei being giving at the Honolulu Int'l Airport. Unfortunately, everyone flying to Hawaii does not automatically receive such a lei, unless you are being met by a host family or part of a tour group. Leis are given at many different occasions around the islands ... birthdays, graduations, arrivals, departures, retirements, weddings etc ... anytime you wish to show aloha for any special occasion, giving a flower lei (or any other type for that matter) will not be out of place!
There are many items used while dancing various hulas. Pictured here is one commonly called the pu 'ili. These are made of split bamboo, and is used individually or in a pair by tapping each one together or by tapping it on the dancers' shoulders or body. These too, make an inexpensive souvenir.
Hula is performed on many levels, guys and gals alike. Originally, it was the men that did the dancing, though now you will see more women performers. Many of the performers will use implements while dancing. Pictured here are what is called uli uli, which is a small seed filled gourd rattle that are generally decorated with red and yellow feathers. These, by the way, make wonderful souvenirs too.
Please remove your shoes before entering
Most locals appreciate you leaving your shoes at the front door before you walk inside. A neat phrase I've seen is along the lines of "Eh, take your shoes off before you enter, but no leave with better ones!" ... so true, be sure you're taking your own shoes home when you leave. My sister will testify to being the last to leave and having to wear a mis-matched pair of slippers home because they were the only ones left!
Konane, an old Hawaiian game
This is not a custom per se, but an old strategic game the Hawaiians used to play which is similar to our checkers in some ways. This was generally played during makahiki. You would use black lava rock and perhaps white coral. The object is to get rid of as many of your opponents rocks, yet the winner is determined by WHO makes the last legal move. Here, you see the "board" is a pitted rock. The number of pits per board varied from 64 through sometimes as many as 250.
More Reviews (33)
- See All Iolani Palace, Our Nation's only Palace
- See All THE # 1 in Hawaiian food
- See All Nightlife every night in Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt lives forever!
- See All Huge waves!
- See All Northshore Sunset
TropicGirl77's Related Pages
Hawaii (State of) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hang Loose in Hawaii"
- "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- "A Month In Paradise"
- "Hawaii this beautiful place we fell in love with."
- "diver-x's Hawaii Page"
- "Scenic Hawaii"
- "BlueCollar's Hawai‘i"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hawaii (State of)
- Hotels in Hawaii (State of)
- Transportation in Hawaii (State of)
- Nightlife in Hawaii (State of)
- Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)
- Shopping in Hawaii (State of)
- Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hawaii (State of)
- 140 Reviews
- 307 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawaii (State of)
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Your first vt meet."
- updated a Hawaii (State of) Travel Page "Hawaiian Islands ~ GO Virtual"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spectacular Hawaiian Sunsets"
- Commented on one of rdw66's Hawaii (State of) travel pages
- Wrote a Review Iolani Palace, Our Nation's only Palace in Hawaii (State of) Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Mexico Intro, 19 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Waikiki Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Wahiawa Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Colorado Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (93)
Top Hawaii (State of) hotels
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1987 Reviews - 4709 Photos
- Lihue Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Lahaina Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 616 Photos
- Kailua-Kona Hotels
- 343 Reviews - 768 Photos
- Kihei Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 134 Photos
- Kapaa Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Hilo Hotels
- 235 Reviews - 453 Photos
- Koloa Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Hawaii Kai Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 25 Photos
- Kaanapali Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Poipu Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 154 Photos
- Kapalua Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Hanauma Bay Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Kahului Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Kalaoa Hotels
- 3 Hotels