"RickL's new Guantanamo Page" Guantánamo by RickL

Guantánamo Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos

I am partial to Guantanamo (pop 220 000) primarily because of the people I know there. There are few beaches and historical buildings but they do exist without the associated tourist trappings. However, there are many other advantages: There are very few cars which means it's very quiet and there are no old American cars spewing black smoke in your face as you walk along the streets. With very few cars most people travel by horse cart. The first time I went I had to hassle a private taxi driver to take me from the bus depot!!! When he realized I was willing to pay in American dollars he became my personal chauffeur. He gave me his home phone # and he would take us whenever and wherever we wanted for $5 a day.
The peso economy is alive and well in Gitmo and you can purchase food in the peso stores or from the street venders. Ice cream in the streets is very good at 1 peso for 2 scoops!Complete dinners were priced at about $2-3 dollars. Life is very laid back and slow in Guantanamo. With few other tourists you can stroll down the streets and not get hassled. I think part of that is because no one seems to speak English there except me. Visit Guantanamo if you speak some Spanish and want to see the last unspoiled Cuban city. Even Fidel has NEVER been there! I think I've been there ten times now and nothing ever really changes there until this trip where things seem to have gone for the worse for the ordinary Cuban.

• Pros:the real Cuba
  • Last visit to Guantánamo: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2009

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 4:50 AM

A very interesting page. Guantanamo is much different than I had pictured in my mind.

• May 3, 2003 at 8:52 AM

I love this page! You certainly know this area well!

Badges & Stats in Guantánamo

Have you been to Guantánamo?

Latest Activity in Guantánamo