"RickL's new Guantanamo Page" Guantánamo by RickL
Guantánamo Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos
I am partial to Guantanamo (pop 220 000) primarily because of the people I know there. There are few beaches and historical buildings but they do exist without the associated tourist trappings. However, there are many other advantages: There are very few cars which means it's very quiet and there are no old American cars spewing black smoke in your face as you walk along the streets. With very few cars most people travel by horse cart. The first time I went I had to hassle a private taxi driver to take me from the bus depot!!! When he realized I was willing to pay in American dollars he became my personal chauffeur. He gave me his home phone # and he would take us whenever and wherever we wanted for $5 a day.
The peso economy is alive and well in Gitmo and you can purchase food in the peso stores or from the street venders. Ice cream in the streets is very good at 1 peso for 2 scoops!Complete dinners were priced at about $2-3 dollars. Life is very laid back and slow in Guantanamo. With few other tourists you can stroll down the streets and not get hassled. I think part of that is because no one seems to speak English there except me. Visit Guantanamo if you speak some Spanish and want to see the last unspoiled Cuban city. Even Fidel has NEVER been there! I think I've been there ten times now and nothing ever really changes there until this trip where things seem to have gone for the worse for the ordinary Cuban.
- Pros:the real Cuba
If you read Spanish you can always pass some time at the public library. Nice building anyway. more travel advice
- See All Internet Access
- See All Carnival 3
- See All Nice view of the city!
- Crimes against tourists are...
RickL's Related Pages
Guantánamo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RickL's new Guantanamo Page"
- "PAllen's new Guantanamo Page"
- "A bit of USA in Cuba"
- "Guantanamo - just passing through"
- "Guantanamo Bay for the day."
- "american military base of Guantanamo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guantánamo
- Hotels in Guantánamo
- Transportation in Guantánamo
- Nightlife in Guantánamo
- Restaurants in Guantánamo
- Shopping in Guantánamo
- Warnings and Dangers in Guantánamo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guantánamo
- 24 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Guantánamo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guantánamo
Top 10 Pages
- Cuba Intro, 45 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Guantánamo Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Havana Intro, 20 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Cuba Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baracoa Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Viñales Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Victoria Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Mexico Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos