"Heart of the Garden Route" Top 5 Page for this destination George by Grootpiet
George Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 136 photos
George is a peaceful town in the center of what is known as South Africa's Garden Route. The area's name derives from the lush mountains and forests which you'll tour through if you ever get the chance to go there. With an average temperature of 19 C due to it's location between the Outeniqua mountains and the sea, it's an all-season destination, even though some days you can cycle through all four seasons in a matter of hours.
Approximately 4 hrs east of Cape Town, it's a great drive, and well worth a diversion trip or as a part of a Garden Route itenary.
Notable cities closeby are Oudtshoorn (for the Ostriches, Cango Caves and Klein Karoo festival), Wilderness & Buffalo Bay for their endless beaches, Knysna for its artistic nature and idyllic setting and Plettenberg Bay for its allure as Cotè d'Azur of South Africa.
- Pros:Beautiful environment, great weather
- Cons:Long flight's from Toronto
- In a nutshell:Between the mountains and the sea
Check out this site for some excellent info. on hikes in the George area and surroundings. With it's great climate, and... more travel advice
Like a reluctant superhero, the powervan will take you up the Outeniqua mountain, with a nice included picnic. It can... more travel advice
Written Jun 9, 2003
Written Feb 24, 2004
A Garden in the Garden Route
Grootpiet's Related Pages
George Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "George, town of stunning scenery!!"
- "George - Four seasons in one day."
- "Heart of the Garden Route"
- "Gorgeous George"
- "The Garden Route"
- See All...
- Things to Do in George
- Hotels in George
- Transportation in George
- Restaurants in George
- Shopping in George
- See All...
Badges & Stats in George
- 16 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to George?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in George
Photos in GeorgeSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Toronto Intro, 32 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Capri Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kruger National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- San José Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 7 photos
- Provincia de Puerto Plata Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue