"INSPIRATION" Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island by vago1
Amorgos Island Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 253 photos
Far away, to the east, in the Archipelago rises the islandic ridge of Amorgos..
Although it lies in the middle of the open sea, its shape literally obscures the horizon to the traveller coming from the west on his way to the Eastern Aegean. It is as if the Cyclades look forward to blocking any sailing beyond their boundary, giving the newcomer the impression that the end of the world must be somewhere near about. It is one of the most amazing islands of the greek map, the beautiful Amorgos. Amorgos is the ideal destination for a holiday or a short break.
Amorgos was originally inhabited by seafarers from the Asia Minor coast around the 4th millenium B.C. Numerous grave sites (Tholi) and many Cycladic figures attest to the early, middle and late Cycladic periods which the island went through. The largest Cycladic figure, approximately one-meter tall , was found on Amorgos and can be seen on display in the Archaelogical Museum in Athens. The Cycladic period was very prosperous for the island since it was the nearest Cycladic metal center off the Eastern coast. Amorgos has had numerous names throughout its history. It has been called Pagali, Karkisia and Psychia. Its present name drives from the Mourgos plant from which a rare red dye was extracted to colour royal tunics. As numerous as its names are the number of invaders. Amorgos was colonized by Assyrians, Mylesians, Naxians, Samians and Cretans. It was a member of the Delian league during the Hellenistic period when it was under the Athenian control. It consequently passed to the Macedonians, Ptolomes and then to the Romans who used it as a place of exile. The island passed to Venetian rule in the beginning of the 13th century . The Turkish admiral Barbaric conquered the island for the Ottoman Empire in the beginning of the 16th century. Amorgos gained its independence in 1823 and the monastery in Chora founded the first Lyceum in free Greece.
Agia Anna is the location exactly beneath the 1000 years old monastery of Virgin Mary "Chozoviotissa". It is obvious at... more travel advice
vago1's Related Pages
Amorgos Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "in love with Big Blue!"
- "AMORGOS, STRANGE AND HYPNOTIC"
- "Amorgos- where the big blue was filmed"
- "Amorgos a frenchie Greek Island"
- "Amorgos, Cyclades"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amorgos Island
- Hotels in Amorgos Island
- Transportation in Amorgos Island
- Nightlife in Amorgos Island
- Restaurants in Amorgos Island
- Shopping in Amorgos Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amorgos Island
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Amorgos Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amorgos Island
Photos in Amorgos IslandSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Loutraki Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Paros Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Zante Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Symi Island Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Nisos Nisyros Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Parga Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rethymno Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos