"NISYROS" Nisos Nisyros by vago1
Nisos Nisyros Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 120 photos
Nisyros, was known in antiquity as Porphyris. Mythology holds that once it was united with Kos and that when Poseidon was chasing the giant Polyvotis, he split the two islands.
Mandraki, the capital of Nisyros, is built at the foot of a steep hill which used to be fortified in the Middle Ages. To the northwest of the capital, clinging to the tip af a tall rock, lies the monastery of Panagia Spiliani, the patroness of the island. Built in 1600, it is linked with many traditions. Every year a huge feast takes place here, with lots of food and drink. Yet another castle erected by the Knights of St. John looms above the small town.
Approximately 800 metres southwest from Mandraki we shall meet the ancient Acropolis with its remnants of Pelasgic walls. In the town-hall and the primary school there is an archaelogical collection with sculptures, ceramics, Hellenistic and Roman inscriptions and 18th/19th -century icons.
It is interesting to visit Emporio (where there are only 25 habitats), to the northeast of the island's capital; here lies the monastery of Panagia Kyra offering a panoramic view towards Nikia with their monastery of St John.
To the northeast of Mandraki lies Pali, a fishing village with an excellent beach for swimming. Another village, Emborios, lies to the southeast of Mandrake in the interior of the island, in a lush area with mineral springs and planted with olive trees, fruit trees, fig trees and grapevines.
The island's hot springs, fabled since antiquity and still in use today, are to be found at Loutra just 1,5 kilometres from Mandraki.
Its white houses with their brightly coloured doors and windows and tile roofs are an attractive complement to the greenery that abounds in the district. Nisyros is blessed with many lovely beaches: at Mandraki, Hochlaki, Agia Irini, Avlaki and on Giali the islet directly opposite. Because of its volcanic soil, Nisyros is very fertile. Its inhabitants take great care to preserve their traditions. One of them is their mariage festivities.
You should definetely go to the yali isle. You can go fishing or just swimming to the beutiful beach. more travel advice
There are many taverns in Pali where you will find great fresh fish and seafood. Also, if you want meat try the only... more travel advice
vago1's Related Pages
Nisos Nisyros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once Visited, Never Forgotten....."
- "Our daytrip to the Volcano"
- "Nisyros Island"
- "A short visit"
- "The island of Nisyros, Greece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nisos Nisyros
- Hotels in Nisos Nisyros
- Transportation in Nisos Nisyros
- Nightlife in Nisos Nisyros
- Restaurants in Nisos Nisyros
- Warnings and Dangers in Nisos Nisyros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nisos Nisyros
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Nisos Nisyros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nisos Nisyros
Photos in Nisos NisyrosSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amorgos Island Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Loutrakion Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Paros Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Zante Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Nisos Nisyros Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos
- Symi Island Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Parga Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rethymno Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Birmingham Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos