"Zaporozhye - where once Cossacks roamed freely" Zaporizhzhya by beluga
Zaporizhzhya Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 82 photos
Zoporozhzhye (I use Russian spelling as most people living there speak Russian) is depicted not very nicely in travel guides. It's called "a city to be avoided"... because of the factories and pollution.
Well, this city, located 600 kms south-east of Kiev is defenitely no Paris or Rome... but the factories are located quite far from the residential area and the centre - with its open-air cafe's and parks - has actually a pleasant atmosphere in summer.
Visiting the Cossack museum on the Khortytsaya island and making a boat trip are nice tourist trips.
On top of that, Zaporozhye's
(1) "Prospekt Lenin" is the longest avenue in Europe (about 17 kms)
(2) Dneproges Hydroelectric Dam was one of the first dams built in the former SU
(3) the Dam holds the deepest dock in Europe.
Now THAT should win you over, right?
- Pros:Typical soviet industrial charm
- Cons:Really can't think of anything
- In a nutshell:Pretty solid
Well it's big ... it's (very) Soviet too more travel advice
HEY ... you always wanted to know how the Zaporozhye train station looked like, but YOU WERE TO AFFRAID TO ASK ... here... more travel advice
beluga's Related Pages
Zaporizhzhya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cossacks and Tourists"
- "Industrial, yet cool, Zaporizhzhya"
- "HOME!sweet HOME!"
- "On Both Banks of the Dnipro"
- "Zaporozhye - where once Cossacks roamed freely"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaporizhzhya
- Hotels in Zaporizhzhya
- Transportation in Zaporizhzhya
- Restaurants in Zaporizhzhya
- Warnings and Dangers in Zaporizhzhya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zaporizhzhya
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Zaporizhzhya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaporizhzhya
- Posted in Travel Kiev Forum "RE: English teaching jobs?..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Khortytsaya island ... home to the Cossacks"
- updated a Zaporizhzhya Travel Page "Zaporozhye - where once Cossacks roamed freely"
- Wrote a Review The dam - you can't miss it, even if you wanted to in Zaporizhzhya Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Leiden Intro, 23 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yalta Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Phuket Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Zaporizhzhya Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Sevastopol' Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Italy Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Eger Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Ukraine Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos