"Getting away from the city" Top 5 Page for this destination San Lorenzo de El Escorial by agarcia

San Lorenzo de El Escorial Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 299 photos

Because it’s very close to Madrid (less than an hour from the downtown by train); Because it’s placed in a privileged natural context; Because there you could find its famous Monasterio, part monastery, part school, part palace. Because of that many reasons, El Escorial is one of the preferred destinations as day trip by the inhabitants of Madrid.

Last, but not least, because I was invited to lunch with a couple of good friends that live up there. Definitely, I can find many reasons for visiting El Escorial. ;-)

• Pros:Impressive architecture in a natural environment
  • In a nutshell:A perfect gateway from Madrid!
  • Last visit to San Lorenzo de El Escorial: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2003

• Marycarmen41's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 8:59 AM

I felt again in El Escorial. I love that place and everything about spain. Congratulations to share this pics.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 1:18 AM

You've convinced me. Next time I'm in Spain, I'll head for San Lorenzo.

• Dec 5, 2005 at 10:06 PM

looks like a beautiful peaceful place. i loved your photos, and great info too. cheers.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 1:16 PM

Can't wait to get there. History and nature, this sounds great.

• shpynka's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 6:35 AM

I should've gotten away from the city more...

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 4:22 PM

You had all the best reasons for visiting. A wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle into such a scenic area. Amazing monastery and good background info.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 4:40 AM

Being an architecture and history and nature junkie I have to visit El Escorial. Thanks for the tips, esp. on the surrounding landscape.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 5:41 AM

Always happy to have you as a guest at one of my estates, Alfredo...;--P I love the opening tree shot by the way, use of the portrait mode with the background fuzzed out like that, highlighting the craggy branches...city rat AND an artist? wow!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2003 at 5:46 PM

Wow. So much more than just the monastery. Remember when I was there in February? It was snowing!!!! Too cold for the hike. Great page.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 3:20 PM

When I come back to Madrid, let's hike to "the Silla". Nice job, Alfredo.

agarcia

“Let me tell you what I saw...”

Badges & Stats in San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Have you been to San Lorenzo de El Escorial?

Latest Activity in San Lorenzo de El Escorial