"Scent of Provence" Top 5 Page for this destination Arles by agarcia

Arles Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 774 photos

It takes a while to discover the hidden live of Arles, as it flows slowly behind the Roman ruins and the legacy of Van Gogh. You have to dig deeply into its little and tortuous streets to find how beautiful life could be when you keep it simple. When the peak moment of the day is when you play petanque with your pals. Or when you sit for a while under the shadow of an ancient tree, simply waiting for the time to pass. Life could be so plenty if we simply chase simple things...

Here I found what I was looking for. Here all my senses were awakened by the scent of lavender, the taste of the food, the impossible colors... Here I was happy. I left Arles with the pain that you feel when you have to depart from I lifetime friend.

• Pros:Van Gogh footsteps, Roman monuments, great cultural life
  • Cons:Not the liveliest place on Earth during the night ;-)
  • In a nutshell:All the charm of the Provence, with the charm of the Roman ruins
  • Last visit to Arles: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2004

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 12:21 PM

Your poetic writing is well-suited to a place like Arles - fabulous title & intro pic! So refreshing to hear of bullfights where the bulls don't get killed, too!

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2004 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for visiting my Arles page...you have a good page as well, glad you enjoyed it! :)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 1:44 AM

Hi. Great tips and photos. : o)

• leeludalas's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 9:53 AM

You have some wonderful photos on this page! And great descriptions as well.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 1:56 PM

Van Gogh es mi favorito... Es más, es mi pintor de cabecera... (literalmente: tengo una reproducción de la "Campiña de Arlés" sobre la cabecera de mi cama!!!!) Y otra vez te olvidaste de algo: cuando no es la gaita, es el trípode! Buenísimos "updates".

• vanessadb's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2003 at 2:32 PM

jajaja imagino tu cara cuando los jugadores de petanque intentaban explicarte las reglas del juego! Quizas un poco como en la foto de Ivan =P

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 2:56 PM

Ohhhh...I can't compete with this page on Arles...nice job, Alfredo!!!

• jenn_d's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2003 at 10:51 PM

Splendid observations..your words touched me yet again...On fine day when you least expect it, you will catch a hint of lavender in the air and those same feelings of happiness you mentioned will flood your soul. I know what I speak of ;-)

• Amitu's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2003 at 8:07 AM

Great pages, Alfredo-the place look wonderful

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2003 at 4:42 AM

A Provencal Brigadoon, this beautiful Arles seems to me now. Thank-you for the updates. Including the (ssshhhhh!) bullfighting info.;-P

agarcia

“Let me tell you what I saw...”

Badges & Stats in Arles