"Lovely Wollongong" Wollongong by petwouters
Wollongong Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 574 photos
Welcome to my page on Wollongong, my new home!
On the 12th of October 2004, I migrated here from Belgium to start my new life together with my Australian wife.
It is a really beautiful city, with lots of green - something we don't see very often in Europe... At least not in Belgium, where I used to live.
There's a lot of steel factories in the city, and most travel guides say that just because of that, the city is not worth visiting. Wrong! Wollongong and the greater Illawarra (the region Wollongong is part of) is just beautiful. There is so much to see and do!
Wollongong itself is a very nice city, with beautiful botanical gardens, an amazing temple and so much more!
Between Stanwell Park in the north and pretty much Kiama in the south lies the Illawarra. Wollongong is smack bang in the middle of it. Pretty sights include the Wollongong foreshore, the escarpment, Stanwell Park beach, the so called "Northern Beaches" between Coalcliff and Thirroul, Minnamurra Rainforest, and so much more...!
It's really worth visiting to get a break from the big bustling Sydney. You can easily come here for a day by train, car or even bus.
Enjoy my pages on Wollongong and... hope to see you here some day... (and if you happen to be Belgian, bring me some good chips ;-))
- Pros:silence, beautiful landscapes, really nice beach, beautiful lighthouse, nice panoramas, good fish & chips :-), beautiful botanical gardens
- Cons:well there is indeed some pollution from the steelworks, and the view of those factories isn't very nice, but that does not outweigh all the other beautiful things in the city...
- In a nutshell:To get a break from the busy life in Sydney, Wollongong is the place to be!!
Have a fun water day at Jamberoo Action Park, just about 25 kms. south of Wollongong. A great day of fun with or without... more travel advice
petwouters' Related Pages
Wollongong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is!"
- "a great carmuseum & more"
- "Wollongong - definitely the best of both worlds!"
- "Nan Tien Temple"
- "Wonderful Wollongong"
- "Between the escarpment and the sea"
- "Wollongong and the Illawara"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wollongong
- Hotels in Wollongong
- Transportation in Wollongong
- Nightlife in Wollongong
- Restaurants in Wollongong
- Shopping in Wollongong
- Warnings and Dangers in Wollongong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wollongong
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Wollongong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wollongong
Photos in WollongongSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Vientiane Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kapellen Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Leuven Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Papeete Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bright Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Tsavo National Park East Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bogong Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wollongong Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
Latest Wollongong hotel reviews
- Hotel Ibis Wollongong
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Novotel Northbeach Wollongong
- 525 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Quality Suites Pioneer Sands
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Downtown Motel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Best Western Wollongong
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Sovereign Inn Woolongong
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Oasis Resort Wollongong
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Best Western City Sands Hotel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Belmore All Suite Hotel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- Wollongong Keiraleagh Backpackers
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013