"Welcome to my homepage!" petwouters's Profile

Feel free to explore my little footsteps on earth!

Hi!

My name is Peter and since the 14th October 2004 I live in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia. Before that, I spent 23 years of my life in Belgium, my country of birth and for me, the most beautiful country in the world. I came to Australia to live with my wife Suzanne.

We're living in Wollongong (as I said), which is some 80 kms. south of Sydney in New South Wales. It's a pretty nice town - that's if you don't look at the steelworks too much :-) No seriously, it's nice. If you visit Sydney and you want to get away from the busy life there, "the Gong" is the place to visit! Nice beaches, a huge buddhist temple, quaint restaurants, nice walks, awesome lookouts, etc. It's all part of it!

Before all my adventures in Australia, Belgium used to be my home. You know what it's like: you don't really like the country you live in, until you leave it forgood. Now, I think it's one of the most amazing countries in the world. What I miss the most? The atmosphere of being amongst Belgians (especially in spring and summertime near the Cathedral in Antwerp), the good BEER (seriously, without bragging, Belgium really has the best beer in the world!) and the CHOCOLATE (once again without bragging, it's the best chocolate in the world :-)) Oh and one more thing: the French Fries!

I need to say something about French Fries. They're not French. They're Belgian. Believe me. Belgium has specialist CHIPS SHOPS - or rather caravans, because half the time they don't even look like shops! So where does the "French" in French Fries come from? To cut something French is apparently kitchen vocabulary to cut vegetables in a certain way. So... the French in French Fries has nothing to do with France - it's just a way of cutting them. Now I know that the French like to say it's their invention - well too bad - it's not. Je suis désolé, vraiment. Les pommes frites sont belges. So yeah, I do miss them. Why? Because somehow, no-one seems to be capable (apart from Belgians) to cook a really nice lot of chips. Oh - go check out those chips shops in Belgium - they're everywhere. Order a portion of chips in a triangular bag (the only right way to eat them) and choose a sauce (plenty of choice: there's probably about 20 to 30 different sauces to choose from, some of which have very exotic names like "Américan", "Samurai", etc.) They are not the healthiest option I agree, but if you're European you'll understand me when I say that taste goes before health :-) In some ways though. Enjoy them!

If you happen to go to Belgium some day I'll be happy to help you with any info you need.

I just love travelling, therefor I really like VirtualTourist.com. Can't think of a better way to meet fellow travellers and share thoughts with them.

But anyway, most of my travel pages aren't finished yet, as I am constantly busy with absolutely everything - but I promise to update them as soon as I have some more time.

For now - enjoy your stay at my page and... do keep travelling!!

Future trips and Past trips...

Future Trips:

June/July 2013 - Belgium and maybe somewhere else (thinking of Luxembourg and southern France)

My Last 5 Trips took me to:

July 2012 - Brisbane, QLD (Australia)

June/July 2012 - Perth, Bunbury, Bridgetown, Fremantle - all in WA (Australia)

April 2012 - Blue Mountains, NSW (Australia)

September/October 2011 - Tahiti & Moorea (French Polynesia)

July 2011 - Cairns, Port Douglas & Palm Cove, QLD (Australia)

Mongolia - my dream...

Mongolia is a country that fascinates me. Also the language is really intriguing...

One day I'd really love to go to Mongolia - unfortunately it's only a dream right now... Thank goodness dreams come true sometimes ;-)

Central Asia - another dream...

One day I would really love to travel to Central Asia, in particular Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. From what I've seen, it must be one of the most beautiful places in the world! Too bad it's soooooooo unknown for most people - I truly believe that Central Asian people deserve a better life which can be obtained through tourism! Anyone who wants to share thoughts with me on this magnificent place can contact me!

Must see destinations I want to travel to one day:

1) Greenland and Iceland
2) Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan)
3) Russia & Mongolia
4) Brazil and Uruguay
5) Baltic (more of Estonia, but also Latvia, Lithuania and Finland)
6) Antarctica (better start saving!)
7) Scotland, the Hebrides, Shetland Islands and the Faeroe Islands
8) Vietnam & Cambodia and more of Laos
9) Costa Rica and Honduras
10) Bhutan and Nepal
11) More of French Polynesia
12) More of Eastern Europe - in particular Albania, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Moldova and the Ukraine.
13) Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan.
14) More of Turkey

...and sooo many more of course...
A lifetime is too short to see everything

My 10 top countries:

10) Tokyo, Japan

• Intro Updated Oct 13, 2012

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I too am interested in visiting Central Asia!! Have you ticked some of the '-stans' off your list now??

• petwouters's Profile Photo
      Oct 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Hi Durfun, no not yet, I have two young kids and I don't think visiting this place with them would be very easy until they are quite a bit older... but one day, I will! How about you?

• Durfun's Profile Photo
      Oct 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hey, I'm well aware of your toddlers, having read your KLIA post!! Thought you may decide to hit the road with some like-minded buddies! Perhaps your kids may not share your enthusiuasm about such places when they grow up ;-)

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia.
    Today, I know about another beautiful place in Australia - Wollongong.

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny "Barking Town" in East London UK. (I bet you have not been there yet !)

• lindyz's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Hi Peter, just looking at people who live in the Gong, and you are one of them - cheers :)

• Oldginger's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Same as last year Peter - but one more year down the line! Go well. Mike

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I adore Luang Prabang - but fear I won't go back - too much change after only 1 year.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 7:07 PM

Peter..Happy birthday to you. Hope you have a great day :-)

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 3:16 PM

Ooooooohhhhhh!!!! Lol Sorry....No offence meant! I may change the wording there slightly then! Great homepage, good luck with your big brave move to Oz....amazing....go for it! Ali xx

• Jun 6, 2004 at 8:26 PM

Peter, many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday a great time and all the best for the future. Greetings from India. Your pages , albums and tips are great and useful to a traveller.

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 8:55 AM

Very interesting countries on your list of places you wanna visit ! Greetings from Norway !

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
petwouters's Profile Photo

petwouters

“Travel the world to love the people living on it!”

Real Name