"Welcome to my homepage!" petwouters's Profile
My name is Peter and since the 14th October 2004 I live in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia. Before that, I spent 23 years of my life in Belgium, my country of birth and for me, the most beautiful country in the world. I came to Australia to live with my wife Suzanne.
We're living in Wollongong (as I said), which is some 80 kms. south of Sydney in New South Wales. It's a pretty nice town - that's if you don't look at the steelworks too much :-) No seriously, it's nice. If you visit Sydney and you want to get away from the busy life there, "the Gong" is the place to visit! Nice beaches, a huge buddhist temple, quaint restaurants, nice walks, awesome lookouts, etc. It's all part of it!
Before all my adventures in Australia, Belgium used to be my home. You know what it's like: you don't really like the country you live in, until you leave it forgood. Now, I think it's one of the most amazing countries in the world. What I miss the most? The atmosphere of being amongst Belgians (especially in spring and summertime near the Cathedral in Antwerp), the good BEER (seriously, without bragging, Belgium really has the best beer in the world!) and the CHOCOLATE (once again without bragging, it's the best chocolate in the world :-)) Oh and one more thing: the French Fries!
I need to say something about French Fries. They're not French. They're Belgian. Believe me. Belgium has specialist CHIPS SHOPS - or rather caravans, because half the time they don't even look like shops! So where does the "French" in French Fries come from? To cut something French is apparently kitchen vocabulary to cut vegetables in a certain way. So... the French in French Fries has nothing to do with France - it's just a way of cutting them. Now I know that the French like to say it's their invention - well too bad - it's not. Je suis désolé, vraiment. Les pommes frites sont belges. So yeah, I do miss them. Why? Because somehow, no-one seems to be capable (apart from Belgians) to cook a really nice lot of chips. Oh - go check out those chips shops in Belgium - they're everywhere. Order a portion of chips in a triangular bag (the only right way to eat them) and choose a sauce (plenty of choice: there's probably about 20 to 30 different sauces to choose from, some of which have very exotic names like "Américan", "Samurai", etc.) They are not the healthiest option I agree, but if you're European you'll understand me when I say that taste goes before health :-) In some ways though. Enjoy them!
If you happen to go to Belgium some day I'll be happy to help you with any info you need.
I just love travelling, therefor I really like VirtualTourist.com. Can't think of a better way to meet fellow travellers and share thoughts with them.
But anyway, most of my travel pages aren't finished yet, as I am constantly busy with absolutely everything - but I promise to update them as soon as I have some more time.
For now - enjoy your stay at my page and... do keep travelling!!
June/July 2013 - Belgium and maybe somewhere else (thinking of Luxembourg and southern France)
My Last 5 Trips took me to:
July 2012 - Brisbane, QLD (Australia)
June/July 2012 - Perth, Bunbury, Bridgetown, Fremantle - all in WA (Australia)
April 2012 - Blue Mountains, NSW (Australia)
September/October 2011 - Tahiti & Moorea (French Polynesia)
July 2011 - Cairns, Port Douglas & Palm Cove, QLD (Australia)
Mongolia is a country that fascinates me. Also the language is really intriguing...
One day I'd really love to go to Mongolia - unfortunately it's only a dream right now... Thank goodness dreams come true sometimes ;-)
One day I would really love to travel to Central Asia, in particular Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. From what I've seen, it must be one of the most beautiful places in the world! Too bad it's soooooooo unknown for most people - I truly believe that Central Asian people deserve a better life which can be obtained through tourism! Anyone who wants to share thoughts with me on this magnificent place can contact me!
1) Greenland and Iceland
2) Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan)
3) Russia & Mongolia
4) Brazil and Uruguay
5) Baltic (more of Estonia, but also Latvia, Lithuania and Finland)
6) Antarctica (better start saving!)
7) Scotland, the Hebrides, Shetland Islands and the Faeroe Islands
8) Vietnam & Cambodia and more of Laos
9) Costa Rica and Honduras
10) Bhutan and Nepal
11) More of French Polynesia
12) More of Eastern Europe - in particular Albania, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Moldova and the Ukraine.
13) Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan.
14) More of Turkey
A lifetime is too short to see everything
5) New Zealand
6) French Polynesia
7) United States
1) Antwerp, Belgium
2) Prague, Czech Republic
3) Oporto, Portugal
4) Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
5) Tallinn, Estonia
6) Sydney, Australia
7) Las Vegas, U.S.A.
8) Rotorua, New Zealand
9) Moorea, French Polynesia
10) Tokyo, Japan
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 49 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Posted in Travel Kuala Lumpur Forum "Re: KLIA overnight hotel"
- Commented on petwouters's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Welcome to my homepage!"
- updated a Wollongong Travel Page "Lovely Wollongong"
- petwouters and crzymallard are now friends.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great for a short stay!"
- Wrote a Review Great for a short stay! in Papeete Hotels
PhotosSee All Photos (127)
Top 10 Pages
- Vientiane Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kapellen Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Leuven Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Papeete Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bright Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Tsavo National Park East Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bogong Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wollongong Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos