New York City Off The Beaten Path Tips by Nathalie_B
New York City Off The Beaten Path: 991 reviews and 1,307 photos
The Soup Nazi
Elaine: "Do you need anything?"
Kramer: "Oh, a hot bowl of Mulligatawny would hit the spot."
Kramer: "Yeah, it's an Indian soup. Simmered to perfection by one of the great soup artisans in the modern era."
Elaine: "Oh. Who, the Soup Nazi?"
Kramer: "He's not a Nazi. He just happens to be a little eccentric. You know, most geniuses are."
You may think that it exists only in Seinfeld but the Soup Nazi is real!
This tiny soup kitchen is open only a few months a year. Before you go there, check if it's open.
Other Contact: 259A W 55th St New York, NY
Phone: (212) 757-7730
This pictures shows the view on Manhattan's downtown from the Brooklyn's promenade. No secret that New Yorkers have strong historical ties with Dutch, but discovering that not only the name New Amsterdam was the part of this history is a big surprise. The Netherlands is known as country a big part of the land of which was reclamed from sea. But not that many know that Manhattan's downtown was reclamed from the East river. What you see on this picture now used to be water in 1790. The heart of the financial district untill today has the names of streets that remind us of the previous centuries. The Water street was named after the canal that was running through this area. The Pearl street is named after the oysters, and the Front street was obviously the river front.
Holding the reclamed landfield wasn't an easy job, everything was used to reach the goal. As very modern engineering was not known yet wood and simply garbage were used to hold the land. Ships were sank and burried in this area for the same purposes. Today, this part of New York's history is exhibited at the museum of the South Street Sea Port.
More Reviews (52)
- See All A real nature?
- See All Another history lesson
- See All NYPD
- See All Crazy Crazy
- See All A place were VTers meet
- Hot Summer in New York??????
Nathalie_B's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 54 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 67 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 75 reviews, 76 photos
- New York City Intro, 54 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 48 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Israel Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 38 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island- 404 Reviews, 637 Photos
- Times Square- 272 Reviews, 426 Photos
- Empire State Building- 376 Reviews, 607 Photos
- Central Park- 406 Reviews, 743 Photos
- Rockefeller Center - Plaza- 204 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Chinatown- 105 Reviews, 141 Photos
- Brooklyn Bridge- 188 Reviews, 328 Photos
- Staten Island and Staten Island Ferry- 87 Reviews, 149 Photos
- South Street Seaport- 69 Reviews, 99 Photos
- United Nations- 89 Reviews, 139 Photos
See All New York City Things to Do