"Giethoorn - Venice of the North" Top 5 Page for this destination Giethoorn by Nathalie_B

Giethoorn Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 151 photos

Will I ever forget this trip? Probably NOT! Who would forget the day on which the Dutch railway went on strike and getting to Giethoorn from Breda became a 8 hours bus trip. Actually 7 different busses through 7 Dutch provinces. So, before arriving to Heaven I surely went through Hell!

This place was recommended to me by my Dutch friends. Had I searched for anything like this on my own I would have never found it. Giethoorn is the domestic tourism destination. Seldom we could hear French, German, or Spanish spoken by the visitors. But mostly it was Dutch. Even in the tourist office they didn't speak proper English and had no information or brochures in this language. We simply found ourselves in a typical Dutch environment. And it was 4 days of fun, unbelievably hot weather, bugs, spider webs, and boat cruises along the canals.

• Pros:Very unique and untouched by tourists. Oh well, the non-Dutch ones I mean :)
  • Cons:Did I already mention the spiderwebs??
  • In a nutshell:You want to see different and yet typical Netherlands? Try Giethoorn, you'll enjoy every moment of it!
  • Last visit to Giethoorn: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2005

Nathalie_B

“Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder”

Badges & Stats in Giethoorn

Have you been to Giethoorn?

Latest Activity in Giethoorn