The Hague Off The Beaten Path Tips by Nathalie_B Top 5 Page for this destination
The Hague Off The Beaten Path: 130 reviews and 150 photos
In Dutch Hofje means a garden on the back of a house, or a backyard. It wasn't prestigeous to live in a house with windows that face hofjes, these places were kept by rich families for their servants. Today all kinds of people choose to live in these peaceful places right in the middle of the city and affording them became almost impossible.
You have to search for hofjes if you really want to find them, and if you do please be quiet, people live there.
The hofje on the picture can be found at Noordeinde 1900 (very close to the Royal Palace), open the fence, walk inside and enjoy the view, which is more beautiful during the Summer time.
Although it is still The Hague, the area called Loosduinen, there you can find the Ockenburg Villa which was built in 17th century and surivived WWII.
Hurry up! Soon this historical house will be destroyed and instead of a beautiful villa you'll see a hotel with 168 guest rooms and 1500 square meters of conference rooms. Nobody knows when exactly it's gonna happen, but be ready to see name "Krasnapolsky" instead of "Ockenburg"
Who would believe that it is possible to find a camping site in The Hague? Kijduin Park is located about 15-20 minutes bus ride away from the city center. As I already mentioned Kijkduin is a small beach resort that is less known and crowded than Scheveningen.
In the Kijkduin park you can bring your own tent, rent a bungalow or villa depends on the amount of money you're willing to spend. This camping site is situated a few meters away from the beach and within a walking distance from Ockenburg sports center and of course you can always catch the bus and go to the city of The Hague.
One thing you have to remeber, if you're under the age of 21 you wan't be able to stay at the place unless you're accompanied by adult.
And one more.... if you're planning to stay at Kijkduin Park during a summer time, make sure to make your reservations in advance otherwise you won't find anything available, evn a tiny spot for your tent ;-(
More info HERE
Kijkduin beach is less known than the crowded Scheveningen, and it is much smaller, but very nice. There is only one hotel in the area and camping site called "Kijkduinpark".
In Kijkduin you'll find small shopping center, bars and restaurants and of course you can take a walk either on the beach or the promenade.
It is easy to get there by public transport, for instance you can take bus #4 from the central station
Jantje was a son of Count Floris the V, after his father died Jantje (little Jan) became a count himeslf in 1296, at the age of 13, and died 2 years later, because of the pressure and strees that was put on him by family and enemies. There's some very famous children's song about him, but unfortunately my Dutch is still far away from being perfect and I can't translate it!
More Reviews (28)
- See All Coffee and cake before you start the...
- See All The most popular in The Hague
- The Hague by bike
- See All Chineese furniture and more
Nathalie_B's Related Pages
The Hague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Hague, where the Queen resides"
- "Den Haag"
- "Den Haag"
- "Den Haag"
- "The Hague - The Political Center"
- "My vision on Den Haag"
- "Stork City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Hague
- Hotels in The Hague
- Transportation in The Hague
- Nightlife in The Hague
- Restaurants in The Hague
- Shopping in The Hague
- Warnings and Dangers in The Hague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Hague
- 33 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to The Hague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Hague
Photos in The HagueSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 67 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Intro, 75 reviews, 76 photos
- New York City Intro, 54 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Breda Intro, 48 reviews, 88 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 70 photos
- Israel Intro, 35 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 38 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Hague Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 23 reviews, 47 photos
- Madurodam, Miniature City- 52 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Scheveningen / Kijkduin beach- 33 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Royal The Hague- 53 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Governmental The Hague- 51 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Mauritshuis- 34 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Peace Palace- 19 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Panorama Mesdag- 20 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Scenic The Hague- 28 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Around The Hague- 27 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Shopping arcade- 14 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All The Hague Things to Do