"Land of the Beatles and Cathedrals!!!" Liverpool by aadil
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,282 reviews and 2,296 photos
Liverpool is a fine city with a lot of art galleries, museums, and ofcourse the Beatles home!! The best place to stay for a few days is the Embassie independent hostel at twelve pounds sterling a night. The Catholic Cathedral and the Protestant Cathedral are connected by Hope Street and are both worth visiting at least once for their magnificent architecture if not for anything else. The other places worth seeing are the Tate Art Gallery and the Maritime Museum (with thousands of ship models) and the ships docked there. The Lady Lever Art Gallery at Port Sunlight is well worth visiting for any art lover and is a short train journey away on the other side of the Mersey River. Any Beatles fan will want to see the Strawberry Fields and other places of Beatles memorabilia on tours run by Phil Hughes who will take you around in a minivan for about ten pounds. The China town is the first in England (I think!!) and also worth visiting. The Lime Street Railway Station and the Coach station are close to the city centre and have the main shopping areas also closeby. The seaside view is really breathtaking. Liverpool was one of the main shipping ports for all outbound travel to the world including the Cunard Line. The Liverpool University is also very famous and it's art gallery is small but very beautiful. Check it out when you get there. You won't regret it.
This was my third visit to Liverpool in September 2002, just to attend a talk on Astronomy by the famous astronomer and revolutionary telescope designer John Dobson after whom the Dobsonian Telescope is named!!! It was held in the Metropolitan Church's Crypt Room in the basement. I am an astronomy buff so I visit places and try to co-ordinate my travel plans according to astronomical meetings/events too!!! And this was the perfect opportunity to also see the Walker Art Gallery which was closed for renovation since the last two years on both my previous visits to Liverpool as well!!! So this visit served a dual purpose this time!!!
- Pros:Lovely and lively city!!!
- In a nutshell:Cathedrals & Beatles city!!! Artistically and culturally very active!!!
One of the ships in the dry dock on which you can enter and look around. It is a part of the Merseyside Maritime Museum... more travel advice
aadil's Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 10 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: Archeological Sites"
- Commented on one of Onedragon's Liverpool travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ship in the dock!!! about Albert Dock in Liverpool Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Liverpool's Liver Buildings!!!"
- updated a Liverpool Travel Page "Land of the Beatles and Cathedrals!!!"
Photos in LiverpoolSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 43 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elephanta Island Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Jaisalmer Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Livingstone Game Park Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nagpur 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Egypt Intro, 11 reviews, 3 photos
- Zambia Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos