"My first trip out of India to Russia." Russia by aadil

Russia Travel Guide: 14,432 reviews and 36,785 photos

Trip to Russia.

I loved my first trip out of India to Russia (and my stay in Moscow and St. Petersburg) which I still cherish as one of my most memorable journeys ever!!! I had a wonderful time in both the places and had a lovely first trip where I even experienced my first snow ever and that too in September due to some freak weather. I also was lucky to see the then President Yeltsin waving out from a car when entering the Kremlin gates!!! I was lucky enough to visit an astronomical observatory at the Moscow State University and also was gifted a star atlas belonging to a deceased astronomer from the university. I bought my first good telescope from Moscow and it is still working well even after 17 years. I was fortunate to have friends in Moscow and St. Petersburg so I did not have to spend on hotels as I was staying with them. Since they were students studying in the prestigious Moscow State University they hosted me in the hostel they were staying. I used to travel on my own using the Metro (subway) and trams without much of a problem since I used a multilingual map with names in Russian and English, which I used to read off the map and see on the Metro stations even though they were written only in the Cyrillic script. Eating ice-cream when it was snowing was something I really loved at that time!!! The country was just undergoing a sudden change from Communism to Capitalism after the Perestroika movement started by President Mikhail Gorbachev and later on the Boris Yeltsin movement to capitalization. This worked in my favour since the exchange rate for US Dollars to Roubles was a wonderful 1USD = 2500 Roubles which translated to very good rates for my money!!! How I wish I could return to Russia someday soon.

• Pros:Wonderful monuments, churches, museums, art.
  • Cons:Mafia wars, language barriers, extravagantly higher prices for foreigners.
  • In a nutshell:A memorable journey that was my first trip out of India.
  • Last visit to Russia: Sep 1993
  • Intro Written Apr 10, 2010

Comments

aadil

“Climb high; climb far; your goal the sky, your aim the stars!”

Badges & Stats in Russia