Mumbai Off The Beaten Path Tips by aadil Top 5 Page for this destination
Mumbai Off The Beaten Path: 106 reviews and 172 photos
Trimurti at Elephanta Caves!!!
Visit the famous Elephanta Caves or Gharapuri as they are also known as in the local tongue Marathi, situated at about 10 kms away from the Gateway of India and approachable by boat from there as well as from Ferry Wharf too!! The island houses the mystifying rock cut temples which date back to the 7th century AD. The chief attraction is the huge 3-headed bust of the Lord Shiva also popularly known as 'Trimurti'. These rock temples in the caves are a fine example of hindu architecture at it's best!!! Boats do not always operate during the monsoon season due the choppy seas!!! Tickets are Rs10 for Indians and $5 (Rs250) for foreigners. The ride to Elehanta Islands is Rs100 by boat and it takes about an hour to traverse the 9 kilometer distance!!! On the way to the islands you will see a lot of ships anchored at sea and also a few of the smaller islands as well as the nuclear reactors and the petroleum refineries!!! No night stay is possible on the island and everything is very expensive on the island so be prepared for higher rates even for a bottle of mineral water!!!
More Reviews (42)
- See All Town Hall Mean Sea Level Datum Line...
- See All Places to shop for women in Mumbai.
- See All Lebanese Fast Food
- See All Elephantine Meeting with Mizzie from KL.
- See All YWCA in Mumbai.
aadil's Related Pages
Mumbai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mumbai (Bombay)"
- "My Second Home"
- "Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
- "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
- ""my" Gateway of India..."
- "Mumbai, Bombay....its all the same..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mumbai
- Hotels in Mumbai
- Transportation in Mumbai
- Nightlife in Mumbai
- Restaurants in Mumbai
- Shopping in Mumbai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mumbai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mumbai
- 43 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 176 Forum posts
- 195 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Mumbai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mumbai
- Posted in Travel India Forum "Re: USD in India"
- Commented on one of kenHuocj's Mumbai tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Town Hall Mean Sea Level Datum Line Marker"
- Wrote a Review Town Hall Mean Sea Level Datum Line Marker about Town Hall - Asiatic Society Library in Mumbai Things to Do
- updated a Mumbai Travel Page "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mumbai Intro, 43 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Elephanta Island Intro, 23 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- York Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos
- Jaisalmer Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Livingstone Game Park Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nagpur 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Egypt Intro, 11 reviews, 3 photos
- Zambia Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (115)
- Gateway of India- 52 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Marine Drive- 29 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Hanging Gardens- 12 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Chowpatty Beach- 18 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Haji Ali Dargah- 9 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Victoria Terminus- 31 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Crawford Market- 9 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Elephanta Caves- 19 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj - Ex Prince of Wales Museum- 39 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Juhu Beach- 14 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Mumbai Things to Do