"Brunei Memories" Brunei and Muara by hassan_abu
Brunei and Muara Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 64 photos
Officially State of Brunei, Abode of Peace, Malay Negara Brunei Darussalam, independent Islamic sultanate on the northern coast of the island of Borneo. It has an area of 2,226 square miles (5,765 square kilometres) and is bounded to the north by the South China Sea and on all other sides by the East Malaysian state of Sarawak, which also divides the state into two enclaves of unequal size.
Brunei was trading with China during the 6th century, and, through allegiance to the Javanese Majapahit kingdom (13th to 15th century), it came under Hindu influence. In the early 15th century, with the decline of the Majapahit kingdom and widespread conversion to Islam, Brunei became an independent sultanate. It was a powerful state from the 16th to the 19th century, ruling over the northern part of Borneo and adjacent island chains. But it fell into decay and lost Sarawak in 1841, becoming a British protectorate in 1888 and a British dependency in 1905. Japan occupied Brunei during World War II; it was liberated by Australia in 1945
- Pros:Very peaceful country
- Cons:Too peaceful to totally boring
- In a nutshell:OK
A water village that has been in continuous habitation since 1521 depicting a traditional lifestyle in stilt houses... more travel advice
Don't underestimate the outer look of these houses. They are well equipped with the latest DVD player, air-conditioned,... more travel advice
hassan_abu's Related Pages
Brunei and Muara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brunei Memories"
- "Brunei n muara district"
- "The Royal Brunei"
- "brunie's big houses!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brunei and Muara
- Hotels in Brunei and Muara
- Transportation in Brunei and Muara
- Nightlife in Brunei and Muara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brunei and Muara
- 13 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Brunei and Muara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brunei and Muara
Photos in Brunei and MuaraSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampung Bukit Tinggi Intro, 23 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lysekil Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Algeria Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 9 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 9 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos