"Mermaid Island" Pulau Duyong Besar by hassan_abu
Pulau Duyong Besar Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Used to be known as Pulau Peria, as it was said either the occupants used to grow bitter gourd (peria) or due to its longish shape, Pulau Duyong, comprising of a cluster of small islands located at the estuary of Terengganu River, is a treasure cove of all kinds of past memories. Historically, the island was discovered and explored by a well known Muslim scholar Wan Abdullah or better known as Tok Syeikh Duyong. The island was renamed Pulau Duyong (Mermaid Island) from Pulau Peria after a pair of mermaids appeared on the islnad.
On one occasion, two mermaids were found lying on the beach by some of the fishermen who coincidentally returned with their catch from the sea. They were astonished and soon news of the mermaids began to spread fast. Eventually, the villagers decided to change the name of Pulau Peria to Pulau Duyong. The majority of villagers agreed to the new name as most of them had doubts regarding the former name of Pulau Peria, for as far as they knew, they had never seen bitter gourd being grown on the island. They, in the end, mutually agreed to the new name of Pulau Duyong and their lives seemed to have been blessed with peace and prosperity ever since.
It is confirmed in the writings of Ptolemy, a Greek scholar that Kual Terengganu and a few other island in the estuary of Teregganu River; including Pulau Duyong used to be the main internationnal port for this region, and stated that in year 150 there was early civilisation.
Pulau Duyong has approximately 5000 residents who are traditionally fishermen, some of the residentsare also traders and entrepreneurs.
hassan_abu's Related Pages
Pulau Duyong Besar Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pulau Duyong Besar
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Pulau Duyong Besar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Duyong Besar
Photos in Pulau Duyong BesarSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 49 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampung Bukit Tinggi Intro, 23 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 19 reviews, 82 photos
- The Hague Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lysekil Intro, 29 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Algeria Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 9 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 9 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos