"Just ducky!" Andrew by Darby2
Andrew Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 7 photos
Now....I bet you don't know what Andrew is famous for today???? Please leave your guesses in the comments...I'll get back to you shortly to tell you if you're correct.
The village was named after one Andrew Whitford, one of two brothers who had served as guides in the Riel Rebellion. The current village is on the site of one of the original homesteads. The area started reciving Ukrainian immigrants in 1898 and by 1902 had it's first Post Office.
Neaby Whitford Lake is a great place to watch waterfowl. The of course there are the little churches...
Sts. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church,
Bissell Memorial United Church
St. John Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Sucheva)
Church of the Archangel St. Michael
The area around Andrew is rich farmland, most of it quite flat. Its rich black soil produces crops of grain (mainly wheat, barley and oats) and canola. The old grain elevator still stands in Andrew but is no longer used, most of the grain is handled in larger terminals near Lamont and Vegreville.
The photo below shows a freshly swathed crop of canola. After drying, the crop is combined and the seed is crushed to extract the oil.
Darby2's Related Pages
Andrew Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andrew
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Andrew?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andrew
Photos in AndrewSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues