"Blue River, Gateway to the Rockies" Blue River by Darby2
Blue River Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
Blue River lies on the Yellowhead Highway 5 about half way between Edmonton and Vancouver. Primarily a wilderness area, the town also serves as a service center for CN Rail. The other industry here is logging and forestry and helicopter skiing in the neighbouring mountains. The North Thompson River flows nearby.
To the north lies Valemount and Mount Robson and the Yellowhead Pass. To the south is Avola, Clearwater and Kamloops.
There is a high-tech connection to Blue River. Nearby, there is one of the greatest concentrations of the mineral TANTALUM, used in cell phones and the like. It is possibly the richest source in the world.
Blue River is also a railway stop for CN trains traversing the Rockies. It's not unusual to see several long unit trains of commodities like coal, sulphur, potash, grain and containers. There are plans afoot to increase the container traffic on the CN line between Prince Rupert and Yellowhead Pass by building a very large container terminal at Prince Rupert, since the facilities at Vancouver are near the saturation point.
As for outdoor activities around here, there's snowmobiling, skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, wildlife watching, canoeing ( specially the Myrtle Lake waterways in Wells Gray Park just west of here).
- Pros:Beautiful mountain/valley setting
- Cons:Can be cold in winter
Darby2's Related Pages
Blue River Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Blue River
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Blue River?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blue River
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues