"Camrose, rose town of Alberta" Camrose by Darby2
Camrose Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Camrose lies in a rich grain farming region of Alberta, southeast of Edmonton. It is also home to several colleges including both secular and religious studies.
It is considered to be in the center of Alberta's "Bible Belt' where religion plays a large part in everyone's daily life.
Camrose is also home to the famous Byers flour mill.
The above photograph which I titled "After the Rain" was taken in 1980 with my 8x10 camera on a day that had some dramatic skies and weather.
I saw the barn and the windmill as a big black cloud was just passing by during a thundershower. As the sky cleared, an opening in the clouds let some sunshine through, illuminating the scene like a spotlight. I had to carry my heavy camera and tripod about a half a kilometer down the railway tracks to set it up and create the right perspective and composition. As it was still drizzling, I held an umbrella over the camera as well so it wouldn't get wet as I waited for the right moment to click the shutter.
Now for the sad part...
This scene will never be able to be seen again.
I visited the spot about 3 years ago and the windmill had fallen over. I visited the place again in the spring of 2006 and everything is gone!!!! Not even a trace of the house, barn or windmill...just a bare field with the fence in front.
Some moments are to be captured once and only once, never to be seen again.
To view a high resolution image of the scene, just click on this link: After the Rain
(It may take a few minutes or seconds to load in your browser)
Darby2's Related Pages
Camrose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Camrose - the heart wild rose country"
- "Camrose, Alberta"
- "Camrose, rose town of Alberta"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Camrose
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Camrose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Camrose
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues