"Camrose, rose town of Alberta" Camrose by Darby2

Camrose Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos

Camrose lies in a rich grain farming region of Alberta, southeast of Edmonton. It is also home to several colleges including both secular and religious studies.
It is considered to be in the center of Alberta's "Bible Belt' where religion plays a large part in everyone's daily life.
Camrose is also home to the famous Byers flour mill.

The story behind the photo...

The above photograph which I titled "After the Rain" was taken in 1980 with my 8x10 camera on a day that had some dramatic skies and weather.

I saw the barn and the windmill as a big black cloud was just passing by during a thundershower. As the sky cleared, an opening in the clouds let some sunshine through, illuminating the scene like a spotlight. I had to carry my heavy camera and tripod about a half a kilometer down the railway tracks to set it up and create the right perspective and composition. As it was still drizzling, I held an umbrella over the camera as well so it wouldn't get wet as I waited for the right moment to click the shutter.

Now for the sad part...

This scene will never be able to be seen again.

I visited the spot about 3 years ago and the windmill had fallen over. I visited the place again in the spring of 2006 and everything is gone!!!! Not even a trace of the house, barn or windmill...just a bare field with the fence in front.

Some moments are to be captured once and only once, never to be seen again.

To view a high resolution image of the scene, just click on this link: After the Rain
(It may take a few minutes or seconds to load in your browser)

• Last visit to Camrose: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2006

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Stunning picture and sad story. Looks like a very restful place.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Yeah, I call such pictures historical and unique ones... Thanks for sharing your memories...

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Wow, what a photo! I remember driving around Hay Lakes, which is also not far from Camrose and my dad taking a similar shot right after a storm had passed. It's still one of the most dramatic landscapes I've ever seen.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2002 at 7:23 PM

Great pic... sure captures the mood of the weather..

Darby2

“"Stay Calm, Be Brave, and Watch for the Signs"”

Badges & Stats in Camrose

Have you been to Camrose?

Latest Activity in Camrose