"The Chilcotin, unspoiled wilderness that endures.." Chilko Lake by Darby2
Chilko Lake Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 97 photos
The pristine water of this gorgeous alpine lake as it appears from the bluff overlooking the campsite. The mountains in the background rise to about 8,500 feet. Beyond them, is Mount Waddington, at 13,186 feet, (4019 meters) the highest mountain in British Columbia's Coast Range.
The lake is about 85 km long, up to 5 km wide and has a maximum depth of more than 1200 feet, making it one of the deepest lakes in the province. Only Quesnel lake is deeper, 610 meters or about 2000 feet.
Despite it's relative proximity (200 km) to Vancouver it doesn't get many visitors. It's more an accessibility problem than a distance problem. To reach the lake by road from Vancouver requires a drive of at least 9 hours. Take the Trans Canada Highway to Cache Creek, then follow the Cariboo Highway 97 to Williams Lake. From there, turn off on Highway 20 (the Freedom Road, or Bella Coola highway) as far as Lees Corner ( Hanceville). From there, it's about a 90 minute drive. Alternate route is to continue as far as Tatla Lake turnoff, then proceed south for about 45 km on the Tatlyoko Lake road.
I'm planning a return visit here in June 2007.
Here is a link to a map of the area with information on other lakes and attractions.
Master aerial photographer Russ Heinl has captured the essence of the Chilcotin with his gallery of outstanding images taken from helicopter.
Aerial photographer Kat Kam and pilot Randall G. have just taken a marvellous series of aerial photos of theChilko Lake area in the fall of 2006. The assoctiated map shows their route through the mountains and valleys. You can recognize a few of the landmarks:
The Bear site with Duff Island
Chilko Lake Lodge and landing strip
This is a satellite view of the area around Duff Island ( you can zoom in and out)
Writer Rich Hobson immortalized the area with his books: Grass Beyond The Mountains, The Rancher Takes a Wife, and Nothing too Good for A Cowboy
On the bluff overlooking the lake are many huge Douglas fir trees like this one near the campsite. Some of the biggest trees here are more than 500 years old. Persistent winds have made many of them grow in a slanted position and occasional storms have also felled a few of them.
The campsite at Chilko Lake can accomodate about 30 campers. The rocky beach is suitable for launching cartop boats or canoes.
The Disney movie "the Bear" was produced on this site. There are both black and grizzly bears in this area. Always keep your food in your vehicle.
View the area via Google Earth®
View the area via Flash Earth
- Pros:The most spectacular alpine lake in the world.
- In a nutshell:A glorious place for an out of the way vacation
There is a nice grass airstrip at the south end of Tsuniah Lake which serves the nearby lodge. While I was there in the... more travel advice
While visiting the Chilko Lake lodge last month, a Dehavilland Beaver float plane flew in with some guests and then left... more travel advice
- See All Bald eagles
- See All By horse pack train above Chilko Lake
- Xeni Gwet'in, People of Nemiah
Darby2's Related Pages
Chilko Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Chilcotin, unspoiled wilderness that endures.."
- Create a Chilko Lake Travel Page
- Things to Do in Chilko Lake
- Hotels in Chilko Lake
- Transportation in Chilko Lake
- Nightlife in Chilko Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Chilko Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chilko Lake
- 24 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Chilko Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chilko Lake
Photos in Chilko LakeSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues