"Clearwater, gateway to Wells Gray Park" Clearwater by Darby2
Clearwater Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 72 photos
The pleasant little town of Clearwater is situated on the junction of the North Thompson and Clearwater rivers. Heading north from the town takes you into the vast wilderness of Wells Gray Provincial Park with its many canyons, waterfalls and a unique volcanic landscape. Continuing northeast along the Yellowhead Highway 5 will take you to Valemount, Mount Robson (highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies) and Jasper, Alberta. Continuing south on Highway 5 takes you to Little Fort and Kamloops
Wells Gray Park is know as the "waterfall park" with 20 major and minor waterfalls. The most spectacular and 4th highest in Canada is Helmcken Falls, a 475 foot cataract on the Myrtle River. About 4 km upstream is Dawson Falls, about 80 feet high and 300 feet wide, a mini "Niagara"
The extensive network of logging roads in ths Clearwater area reaches dozens of excellent fishing lakes in the area. Be cautious when approaching logging trucks and give them a wide berth.
For more Info on the Clearwater area:
For a look at a detailed map of this area
One of my favorite areas for fishing, heading up the road west from Clearwater to 100 Mile House. Many of the lakes have free campgrounds provided by the B.C. Forest service. Fishing season opens from ice-off in mid-May to late October.
Fish species sought after are Rainbow Trout found in nearly every lake and pond and Lake Trout, found in a few of the larger lakes. Kokanee, a landlocked sockeye salmon are also found in a few scattered lakes. Other species include Brook Trout, freshwater ling or burbot. A few "coarse" fish which are seldom fished for but occasionally caught include suckers and squawfish.
Dutch Lake in Clearwater is renowned for its lush display of water lilies. They were planted more than 50 years ago and have now spread around the lake.
- Pros:Absolutely stunning scenery, fabulous fishing.
Darby2's Related Pages
Clearwater Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Clearwater, gateway to Wells Gray Park"
- "One of the place in BC where you have the nature"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clearwater
- 1 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Clearwater?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clearwater
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues