"Hinton, Alberta" Hinton by Darby2
Hinton Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 42 photos
Folding Mountain, an upthrust of grey limestone, dominates the approach to Hinton from the west.
Hinton is a bustling town of about 9000 located on the Yellowhead Highway about halfway between Edson and Jasper. It's primary industries are forestry and coal mining. It is the first town you encounter after leaving Jasper National Park some 35km to the west. Recent downturn in the coal mining industry has affected the economy here but tourism here is also a source of income. Other interesting waypoints nearby are Grand Cache to the north and Cadomin to the south. Cadomin was once a thriving coal mining town in the midst of the Rockies but now is a quaint ghost town with its log cabins. Nearby, there is a large limestone quarry used to supply the Inland Cement operation with raw materials in Edmonton, 300 km to the east. One of the other attractions is the Cadomin Caves, a short hike up the mountainside from the town. Heading further south takes you over the Cardinal Divide, a point where the watershed diverts in three directions; to the east, the rivers flow into Hudson Bay, to the North into the Arctic Ocean and to the west into the Pacific.
Continuing on to Jasper, it's not unusual to encounter magnificent elk like this browsing beside the highway. But keep your distance, specially during the "rutting" season...those huge antlers can do a lot of damage
Darby2's Related Pages
Hinton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great homebase for exploration!"
- "The Gateway to Jasper National Park"
- "Hinton, Alberta"
- "Gregg Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hinton
- Hotels in Hinton
- Restaurants in Hinton
- Shopping in Hinton
- Warnings and Dangers in Hinton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hinton
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Hinton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hinton
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues