"Kelowna, in the sunny Okanagan Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna by Darby2
Kelowna Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 188 photos
Located about halfway along the 150 km long Okanagan Lake, the city of Kelowna is a modern metropolis of 100,000 people. The area is surrounded by lush orchards and vineyards which produce some of the worlds greatest wines.
The climate is warm and sunny, much like that of the Mediterranean. Rainfall averages less than 15 inches per year. Winters are mild with enough snow to provide skiing in the nearby hills. The other draw to Kelowna is its tourisim and convention facilities
Blessed with a warm, dry climate the Okanagan Valley has long been known for its lush orchards producing some of the finest tree fruits in the country.
Little did we realize the potential of this area as a prime grape-growing region...only in the last 20 years has it began to reval its true calling.
Here is a list of the current wine producers in the Okanagan:
Adora Estate Winery
6807 Hwy 97
Summerland, B.C. V0H 1Z0
1574 Camp Road
Lake Country, B.C.
170 Upper Bench Road
Black Hills Estate Winery
30880 Black Sage Road
Blasted Church Vineyards
378 Parson /road
Okanagan Falls, B.C.
5491 Minoru Blvd.
Burrowing Owl Vineyards
100 Burrowing Owl Place, Black Sage Road
1125 Richter Street,
Carriage House Wines
32764 Black Sage Road,
Cedar Creek Estate Winery
5445 Lakeshore Road,
.....more to follow!!!
Here's a continuation of the list of wineries and a link to the Wine Harvest Festival
This year's festival begins the week of Sept. 29-Oct. 1 It's the only wine festival in North America that happens during the grape harvest
The Okanagan floating bridge in the background was installed in 1958. Prior to that, a ferry crossed the lake from Westbank. The area has beautiful sandy beaches and parks for swimming, strolling or girl watching.
If you see characters like this, be forewarned...they're harmless ;o))) The hat says all! ~Photo courtesy of her... more travel advice
While Gillian and I were browsing through the Cherry Festival and Wine Museum, there was a small display and sampling... more travel advice
Darby2's Related Pages
Kelowna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GREAT LOCATION ON OKANAGAN LAKE!"
- "Kelowna, in the sunny Okanagan Valley"
- "My Kelowna :)"
- "Kelowna- Ripe with Surprises"
- "The urban centre of the Okanagan Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kelowna
- Hotels in Kelowna
- Transportation in Kelowna
- Nightlife in Kelowna
- Restaurants in Kelowna
- Shopping in Kelowna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kelowna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kelowna
- 5 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Kelowna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kelowna
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Lost Apple iPhone"
- updated a Kelowna Travel Page "Kelowna, in the sunny Okanagan Valley"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Kelowna fire, 2003"
- Commented on one of devmicha's Kelowna travel pages
- Wrote a Review Beware of beach bums and photographers! in Kelowna Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 88 photos, 9 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues