"Kalyna country....land of many churches" Lamont by Darby2
Lamont Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 8 photos
Kalyna Country is the name given to that part of Alberta northeast of Edmonton extending to the border with Saskatchewan.
Its name comes from kalyna, the Ukrainian name for the wild highbush cranberries found in abundance in this area. The berries are used in many dishes and beverages and medicines as well.
Lamont county is an area rich in history of the early settlers to this part of Alberta. It boasts the largest number of churches per capita than anywhere else in North America, 47 of them. The towns in this area were settled mostly by immigrants from Ukraine as early as 1892.
The Churches of Lamont County
Here are some of the towns and villages in the area.
I dedicate these pages to my VT friend Annastasia
Kalyna Country is Canada's largest ecomuseum.
What is an ecomuseum, you ask?
Broadly defined, it's a "heritage district" that can be described as a place where people live which is interpreted in the manner of a living museum.
Instead of going to see one building or site to see exhibits or artifacts, visitors are encouraged to travel around the territory to learn about the past, the geography, and the living cultures of the communities that are organized under the umbrella concept of an ecomuseum.
Savory Kalyna Sauce
The following sauce is a perfect complement to pork tenderloin that has been rubbed with a paste of mustard, thyme, savoury, marjoram and freshly ground black pepper.
Roll in chopped parsley, roast and serve with peas, carrots and pasta. Although red or black currant jam or jelly or grape jelly can be substituted, this should only be done outside of Kalyna Country!! ;o))
1/3 cup of kalyna jam or jelly
1 tbsp. of Dijon mustard
1tsp. of red wine vinegar
pinch of salt and pepper
Melt the jam in a small pot over medium-low heat. Stir in mustard until mixture is smooth. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over tenderloin slices and enjoy!! Serves two.
Tell your friends about it too!!!
Darby2's Related Pages
Lamont Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamont
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lamont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamont
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues