"Foothills of the Rockies" Nanton by Darby2
Nanton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 35 photos
West of Nanton, the highway heads towards the majestic foothills of the Rockies, eventually reaching Livingston Pass, 7200 feet above sea level and then joins Kananaskis country beyond.
The foothills is prime ranching country. A few patches of the snows from late winter dot the hillsides.
Chinooks are the warm winter winds that blow over the mountains bringing relief from the bitter chill of winter. As the air flows over the mountains it's compressed, raising its temperature by as much as 30C degrees often in just a few hours. The accompanying winds can reach more than 120 kmh as they blow across the plains below. The arch that forms is a boundary between the heavy clouds and the clear skies stretching overhead from north to south.
At more than 7200 feet, Livingstone Pass is one of the highest drivable roads in the country. Driving west of here takes you to Kananaskis country. Watch for fallen rocks on the roadway as you approach the summit. That's my Jeep in the lower right. The view from here is nothing but spectacular, on a clear day you can see for at least 150km.
Darby2's Related Pages
Nanton Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Nanton
- Hotels in Nanton
- Nightlife in Nanton
- Restaurants in Nanton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nanton
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Nanton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nanton
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues