Prince George Off The Beaten Path Tips by Darby2 Top 5 Page for this destination
Prince George Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 3 photos
As you can see, some beautiful jade carvings come from British Columbia's huge jade resource. A considerable amount of jade of lower quality is used in construction, tiles, countertops and ornamental stone. The colours range from green, black, white or yellow-brown. Green jade is the most sought after. High quality jade can cost as much as $100 per kilogram.
large jade boulder
The area around Prince George and north is a tremendous area for finding high quality jade (nephrite). Three quarters of the world's jade comes from B.C.
The best B.C. nephrite is bought by local artists and transformed into artwork which is in demand internationally. The largest sculpture made of B.C. nephrite is probably the Buddha commissioned for the Wat Dhammongkol Monastery in Bangkok. It was carved from a 32 tonne nephrite boulder. This transaction was worth about $350,000 to the Jade West Group of Companies.
Another shot of the spillway from above.
Chilko Lake from the air
Visit the Chilcotin....the land of grass beyond the mountains
This is a rare picture of the spillover from the Bennet Dam which supplies hydroelectric power to most of British Columbia and northern USA as well. Taken in the summer of 2002. Water is released through these gigantic spillways when the level of Williston Lake reservoir is too high. This spillover has happened only 4 times before since the dam was built. The Dam, one of the largest in North America is 600' high and impounds the Peace River to form Williston Lake, the largest man-made lake in Canada and the 10th largest in the world.
Just to think, this fall of water is nearly 4 times the height of Niagara Falls!
(click for a larger view)
More Reviews (7)
Darby2's Related Pages
Prince George Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prince George and North"
- "Strange town...."
- "Darby2's Prince George/Caribou-Chilcotin Page"
- "Prince George settings"
- "Didn't see Much of Prince George"
- "Prince George"
- "Prince George"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prince George
- Hotels in Prince George
- Transportation in Prince George
- Nightlife in Prince George
- Restaurants in Prince George
- Shopping in Prince George
- Warnings and Dangers in Prince George
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kinaliada Hotels
- Scottsdale Hotels
- Mohonk Lake Hotels
- Higgins Lake Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Prince George
- 12 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Prince George?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prince George
Photos in Prince GeorgeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Chilko Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 29 reviews, 83 photos, 8 travelogues
- Rocky Mountain House Intro, 10 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- One Hundred Mile House Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Clearwater Intro, 1 review, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stony Plain Intro, 8 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pavilion Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kelowna Intro, 5 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 16 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lillooet Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Prince George hotel reviews
- Econo Lodge Prince George
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- Prince Motel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Esther's Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Connaught Motor Inn
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- Days Inn - Prince George
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Coast Inn of the North
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Ramada Hotel Downtown
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013